JD 5210 fuel issue

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
All,

I was burning a brush pile yesterday and when I went up a small dirt mound to push some brush over the top the tractor died. It had about a quarter tank full of fuel in it. I had to drag it out with my truck . I put more fuel into it but today it still won't crank. I tried unscrewing the plug on the fuel filter and pumping fuel by hand but none will come out. Any thoughts on what's wrong and how to fix it? I really don't wanna pay the dealership to haul it to the shop for repairs if it's a simple fix which I believe it is. Possibly Air in the line?

Kyle

You Usually have to bleed all the way to the injectors to get the air out. But you said your pump is not pumping so my guess would be the same as hook.

Need to break the injector lines loose and crank till you get fuel at each one. Then start tighting them one by one till it cranks

The first thing you need to do is fill the tank all the way up. Then there will be a 10mm bolt on the side of the injection pump, loosen it up next. Then at the fuel filter there is a bleeder screw at the top, loosen it up till fuel runs out. Tighten the bleeder screw up and pump the primer till good fuel runs out the injection pump. Once good fuel runs out at the injection pump tighten up the 10mm bleeder bolt. I would put a new fuel filter on before I bled the system out. It's really easy once you get the system down. This is the way to do a 5400 and 5310.

highgrit":27uzgsfd said:
The first thing you need to do is fill the tank all the way up. Then there will be a 10mm bolt on the side of the injection pump, loosen it up next. Then at the fuel filter there is a bleeder screw at the top, loosen it up till fuel runs out. Tighten the bleeder screw up and pump the primer till good fuel runs out the injection pump. Once good fuel runs out at the injection pump tighten up the 10mm bleeder bolt. I would put a new fuel filter on before I bled the system out. It's really easy once you get the system down. This is the way to do a 5400 and 5310.
Run out a few times? :cowboy: :mrgreen:

Let me repeat this, first fill your fuel tank all the way up. Is your tank on the back of the tractor TNwalkingred?? Hook, I burn alot of bio-diesel and used motor oil so our filters get clogged up.

I had a 5510 and anytime it was around 1/4 tank and you started up hill it would die out. Take your compressor hose and a rag. Make a sort of gasket around the hose outlet and the tank filler. Crank the engine and force air into the tank. Quickest and easiest way I found to get it running again after it ran out of fuel like that.

dun":1g13fuif said:
I had a 5510 and anytime it was around 1/4 tank and you started up hill it would die out. Take your compressor hose and a rag. Make a sort of gasket around the hose outlet and the tank filler. Crank the engine and force air into the tank. Quickest and easiest way I found to get it running again after it ran out of fuel like that.

So your saying you kinda pressurize the tank?

tnwalkingred":3np0875a said:
All,

I was burning a brush pile yesterday and when I went up a small dirt mound to push some brush over the top the tractor died. It had about a quarter tank full of fuel in it. I had to drag it out with my truck . I put more fuel into it but today it still won't crank. I tried unscrewing the plug on the fuel filter and pumping fuel by hand but none will come out. Any thoughts on what's wrong and how to fix it? I really don't wanna pay the dealership to haul it to the shop for repairs if it's a simple fix which I believe it is. Possibly Air in the line?

Kyle

Sure you did not end up with some water in the tank. The filter will clog up pretty quick from water.

tnwalkingred":33316v3v said:
High grit,

Yes the tank is on the back of the tractor.

Dun,

Are you saying you pressurize the tank by pumping air into it?

Kyle
Correct. I learned that trick in a snow storm when I called the dealer and had them come out and fix it to see what the problem was that I kewpt having. That was after I had gone through the standard bleeding the system a couple of time in preceding months

Had this happen to me twice recently. Turned out the on/off valve from the tank to the supply line was clogged. It was luckily a simple fix.

Slick, that's what a full tank of fuel does for you. As long as the tank is full when you open the bleeder screw at the filter good fuel will fun out. Right where the fuel makes a hard 90 to the filter is where the junk will be. I found pine needles in mine once. But we have lost 3 fuel caps over the years, we're to busy to put it back on.

Thanks for all the good replies guys/gals. I plan on filling the tank all the way up this evening and bleeding the lines. Hopefully this will resolve it. I'll keep everyone posted as to if that fixes it or not. It's been a really great tractor outside of this fuel issue and water getting in the shift boot.

Kyle

All,

I filled the tank and was able to get fuel to come out of the bleeder screw on the filter but it still wouldn't start. I then broke loose one of injector lines and purged the system but couldn't get fuel out. I then broke loose the return lines and fuel bubbled out. I reconnected it all and it fired right up. I'll try and get a pic of the injector up tomorrow so I can show you all exactly which lines I broke loose and maybe you can explain how it works! Lol. Thanks for all the help.

Kyle