JD 4430

Help Support CattleToday:

5S Cattle

Reaction score
Let's know the good, the bad, and the ugly. There's one the next county over on an auction site. I had talked to the guy about it before, but he ran out of time to sell it because he was moving and ended up listing it and some other equipment with this auction site. Two hours left and it's half the price he was originally asking for it :shock:
It has about 14k hours. Apparently runs fine but has a small hydraulic leak. Comes w front end loader and bucket

Good tractors. Have owned two back when I was row cropping. Wet clutch and wet brakes so they last well.
Powerful for just a blower and Bosh pump on a 404. Water and weights to hold it to the ground to pull a heavy disk.

Had one. Should have kept it. Good tractor. No complaints except they are notoriously hard starting tractors in cold weather.

Ended up going for more than I thought it would have. Probably should have bought it, but I get nervous not being able to see it in person.

ez14. said:
Never used a 4430. But I love the 4230

In 2005 I retired from the job, not farming, and bought a 1979 4230 cosmetically restored, including new 134A AC with 3900 hrs for $17k. It was tight. Sitting adjacent to it on the lot was a 4430 with 10k hours and was loose, at $19k. I didn't need the 25 extra ponies and liked the 4230. Really nice tractor Sold it when I downsized my farming operation, calling it semi-retirement. In neighborhood chit chat, seems the 125 hp 4430 was appealing to lots of folks and they were popular.

4440 is a lot better tractor. Starts better, bigger engine, etc. The 404 engine in the 30 series is more like a 100hp engine turned up to 125, the 466 in the 40 series was an actual 125hp engine, and are capable of much more.

That's not to say that the 4430 is bad. They are very good, with a plethora of aftermarket parts support.

Latest posts