JD 4020 Fuel Filter.

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hello board,

Changed the oil in my (new to me) 4020D tonight. I had also picked up some fuel filters and came across a bit of a predicament when I went to change em out. The tractor had Fleet Guard filters on it.....I had purchased Deere filters. Upon taking the Deere filters out of the box, I noticed that the "bleeders" were not in place at the ends of each filter. I found this odd, but figured I'd just back the bleeders (probably a 3/8" pipe threaded plug) out of the fleet guards, and simply insert them into the Deere filters. No such luck. Much to my dismay the threads are apparently different. I plan on heading back into my dealer tomorrow, but thought I'd post here to see if anyone knew the answer to this situation? Can I just run into my Tractor Supply and pickup a couple pipe threaded plugs, or is this a Deere specialty? (WHY IN THE WORLD DONT THEY SUPPLY THEM WITH THE FILTERS?)

I've changed out plenty of fuel filters on the 30 and 40 series JD's with the canister style, these are the screw ons, and a little different with the water drain / bleeders on each end of the two filters.....just for clarification.

Thanks for any help.

Stopped by my dealer.......Deere makes their own bleeders to fit into their filters. $6 and two plastic threaded plugs later, I'm all set.

cornstalk":4114da7a said:
Stopped by my dealer.......Deere makes their own bleeders to fit into their filters. $6 and two plastic threaded plugs later, I'm all set.
Walking that long green line. $

Getting to be that so many of the manufacturers are making their own specific their brand only parts. Auto makers seem to really be doing it alot.