JD 3255 ?

Help Support CattleToday:

rmcva

Reaction score
My neighbor has a JD 3255 with a little over 6,000 hours on it. The tractor has a dry clutch and has had to replace the clutch several times.

The problem now is slipage but doesn't seem to be from the dry clutch. example: pulling a earth pan in 4 wd the tractor will just stop pulling when the pan is cutting but never smell any smoke from the dry clutch. From what I saw there's no way a dry clutch with that kind of load that would slip and then start to pull again. I guess there's always the first time but I figure that kind of slippage would destroy a dry clutch in a few minutes. If the pan is lifted a little all four wheels will go back to pulling. He's been moving dirt for 4 days like that.

I know little about this tractor but it does have a high/low shifter that can be shifted while on the move. Does this system have some type of wet clutch behind the dry clutch that would stop all wheels from turning if it was slipping? Any ideas on what this problem may be?

We used to rent a farm that came with a JD 2020, pretty nice tractor but it had been severely neglected. It had the hydraulic high/low shifter like the one you're talking about. This tractor would get water in the hydraulics and when it would get real cold the high/low would quit working.

If the dry clutch was slipping on the 3255, you would smell it, or maybe even hear it for that matter. If I had to guess, I'd say the problem is in the hydralic clutch pack that runs your high/low. On Fords it is in front of the tranny, behind the regular clutch, kind of a "buffer" in my opinion. First thing to check is the fluid level and condition, and then your filters. If the clutch pack is starved for oil, it could do this. Then my guess would be the pack itself.

Are all the other hydraulic functions on the tractor working properly? If not, the problem may lie in the pump.

I'm not a JD mechanic and there may be something simple that goes wrong on these tractors that I don't know about but there's my thoughts for what they're worth.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3g46y08b said:
We used to rent a farm that came with a JD 2020, pretty nice tractor but it had been severely neglected. It had the hydraulic high/low shifter like the one you're talking about. This tractor would get water in the hydraulics and when it would get real cold the high/low would quit working.

If the dry clutch was slipping on the 3255, you would smell it, or maybe even hear it for that matter. If I had to guess, I'd say the problem is in the hydralic clutch pack that runs your high/low. On Fords it is in front of the tranny, behind the regular clutch, kind of a "buffer" in my opinion. First thing to check is the fluid level and condition, and then your filters. If the clutch pack is starved for oil, it could do this. Then my guess would be the pack itself.

Are all the other hydraulic functions on the tractor working properly? If not, the problem may lie in the pump.

I'm not a JD mechanic and there may be something simple that goes wrong on these tractors that I don't know about but there's my thoughts for what they're worth.

cfpinz

The hydraulic system was drained,filter change and screen cleaned back in March. The rest of the system seems to be fine. I posted this on another site and your reply is pretty much the same as what I got there too.
Thank you for your input. I passed it along to my neighbor and he thanks you too.

Latest posts