JD 2840 tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
Been looking at some jd 2840 tractors, anybody have one and like them? Looking for something to pull a 15' batwing with.

No personal experience with one, but I'm pretty sure it has a closed center hydraulic system like my 2550. Hydraulic problems can sometimes be tricky to diagnose, and not all shops are familiar. You may already know this, just something I learned with mine. The hard way.

M.Magis":2u5l8k7j said:
No personal experience with one, but I'm pretty sure it has a closed center hydraulic system like my 2550. Hydraulic problems can sometimes be tricky to diagnose, and not all shops are familiar. You may already know this, just something I learned with mine. The hard way.

No, I'm not familiar with that. Whats the difference between a closed center hydraulic system and others?

If it has ever had a loader on I would check the hydraulics real good. Neighbor spent over 10k through the years trying to fix his hydraulics and don't know if he ever got it right.

Banjo":p2vxjj1l said:
M.Magis":p2vxjj1l said:

No, I'm not familiar with that. Whats the difference between a closed center hydraulic system and others?

I'm not sure exactly, I'm not smart enough to understand it all. Mine ended up with a bad trans pump, which supplies the main pump. Pretty much had to rule everything else out to diagnose. Also ended up with a bad hi-lo that someone had rebuilt incorrectly. Parts are outrageous, needed $7k in new parts alone. Ended up finding some used parts but still had over 7 in it after labor.

The one I had was nothing but problems similar to what others have stated. Hi- Lo went bad , Steering went bad and leaked oil down on the clutch. I spent more money fixing it than I gave for the tractor and was so happy to see it go. Even though they are older a good 4020 if you can find one would be a much better tractor for bush hogging.

jd720":11in53o5 said:
The one I had was nothing but problems similar to what others have stated. Hi- Lo went bad , Steering went bad and leaked oil down on the clutch. I spent more money fixing it than I gave for the tractor and was so happy to see it go. Even though they are older a good 4020 if you can find one would be a much better tractor for bush hogging.

Thanks for that info. I do like the 4020's especially the ones with the powershift trans.

Banjo":8nhll6iv said:
M.Magis":8nhll6iv said:

In essence an open system allows fluid to bypass from the pump right to the reservoir when the valve is in neutral, no pressure is created until a valve is actuated. These normally have a fixed displacement pump and a relief valve located in the valve body.

In a closed center system fluid is always under pressure, not unlike the water system in your house. These usually have a variable displacement pump.

It's a much bigger topic that would take pages to fully explain, but that's a basic rundown.

Glad I read this, i had been thinking I wanted to find a 40, 50 or 55 series mid range tractor in the 40 to 60 hp range with a loader and brush beater. Sounds like I need to rethink that idea.

So what would be a good older tractor in that size range, something from about the 80's or newer. My wife thinks she needs a small loader tractor so it needs to be simple to operate. I want one big enough to run a five or six foot beater or maybe a flail mower. I want to stay away from the newer computer controlled models and the DEF.

How were the smaller Fords?

Banjo":3p33kb81 said:
So does the 4020 have an open system?

Pretty sure the 4020 is also closed center. I think a large portion of the older Deere tractors were closed.

Around here, the older x000 series Fords are still popular. You can buy them fairly reasonable, and I've yet to come across a part I can't get. Most of the stuff can be bought as aftermarket as well. I have a Ford 3000 and a Deere 2550, and the Ford is FAR cheaper to maintain. It's not a real fair comparison, but many Deere parts are just outrageous.

I have a 2350 and a 2750. They are very comfortable and user friendly tractors. Lots of power and hydraulics are smooth. On the 2750 I have had the engine rebuilt because a o ring on a cylinder liner faled. Injection pump and lift pump. Transmission rebuilt and new clutch and pressure plate. Three point lift rebuilt and steering motor replaced. Two speed gone through and parking brake band replaced. Still need the front hydraulic pump replaced and full interior. The 2350 has had the main pump replace right before I bought it. I had the three point lift rebuilt and a steering motor put in. Had the valves adjusted on both and almost countless small parts to make them work like they were supposed to. I could never sell them and get close to my money back. If I had it to do over again I would have bought a later model like a 62xx and a 64xx. When there is a leak in these tractors the hydraulics work all the time and the fluid gets very hot. It seems the every time something breaks the part is internal and you have to split the tractor.

Latest posts