Its that time of year again

Help Support CattleToday:

Clodhopper":3dzx4e5d said:
That's funny, hurley, around here when the crawdads build those tall mounds it means a flood is coming. They're trying to get them higher than the backwater. That's what I like about CT, seeing the regional differences on stuff.
They'd have had to hire an excavator here. Last of May was what we called a 5 wire or top wire flood. Still got a few soft spots but mostly dry as a bone and I ain't gonna complain. Got about 3 hours of spraying done today and hope to finish up tomorrow.

Jogeephus":t06628pz said:
1982vett":t06628pz said:
Jogee....I tried to just set here and say nothing......I failed!

So let me get this straight ..... today you've admitted that you cheat when smoking brisket and you now admit you are a failure. I think we have a lot in common! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Touché :clap:

Did you know it's the time of year it gets awful hot and dry Around here? :secret: now we wait to see if it rains again before Fall.

I'm beginning to see a pattern here. It would rather rain on your hay than rain on our pastures. :nod:

Jo you have failed mention that the opposite happens when its time to apply fertilizer. If you spread it with 40% chance it will never rain. You almost need a 100% chance to get it washed in with any certainty .

1982vett":31mh413x said:
I'm beginning to see a pattern here. It would rather rain on your hay than rain on our pastures. :nod:

Seems that way doesn't it? Heck, you went without rain for so long I'm afraid giving you too much water would be bad for your health so its not really all about my concern for you even though it might appear I'm selfish.

M-5":31mh413x said:
Jo you have failed mention that the opposite happens when its time to apply fertilizer. If you spread it with 40% chance it will never rain. You almost need a 100% chance to get it washed in with any certainty .

Very true, its like the application of fertilizer evaporates all clouds for weeks. I've now gone to the added expense of adding Nutrisphere to all my fertilizer. Seems to work well.

Hey Jogee....I got an idea. :idea: :idea: :idea: :idea:
I got 50 acres that looks like this...

...and about 80 acres of pasture that hasn't seen a cow since February.

How bout you take a vacation from YOUR work and come one over here with your equipment and bale it.... :) Maybe we could work a deal the the crop and forage insurers for a cut of their profits since they won't have to be paying out any drought claims.....

I just checked 2 weather lairs forecast. One has 10% sat 20% sun and 20% every day next week . The other has 24% sat 60% sunday and 24% every day next week. I need to apply fertilizer Saturday. So I have devised a plan Im gonna go get buggy Saturday morning hook it to one tractor under the shed. Then hook the other tractor to hay cutter. gonna drive to the field on the cutter and make a round on the perimeter . then park tractor in the field walk back to the house and get fert buggy and spread it. these fields are only separated by a fence so I should in theory get a sprinkle.

M-5, in my world your plan would work like a charm but some of the fertilizer might get washed away from the deluge.

Sounds like a plan but only if I can do it on halves. I know someone needing some hay so I can haul it back here and sell it and make a fortune assuming I can find a longer trailer.

Looks like great grass by the way.

Based on how cloudy it was today which was in stark contrast with the weather report I knew something must have happened.

JMJ Farms":1cyo0csj said:
Went around me again.
You ain't alone jmj. I watched two storms come in last week and both decided it was a better idea to detour around me. Had to put out my first bale today.

AdamsCreek":5qqkpwuv said:
JMJ Farms":5qqkpwuv said:
Went around me again.
You ain't alone jmj. I watched two storms come in last week and both decided it was a better idea to detour around me. Had to put out my first bale today.

I know how you feel. Seen my new storm earlier this week get to within about 2 miles and then it split and went above and below me. I'm under stocked by normal standards and use rotational grazing religiously. But I think I'm gonna have to put out my first bale this week also. Only positive is that I have plenty of hay.

M-5":1i4tuxtf said:
And I sprayed another 15 acres this morning. It's been raining for last hour . thank you Jesus

We got hammered an hour after you put out the fertilizer and there was no chance of rain. Just got more rain today (Sunday) and no chance.

So let's talk global warming predictions.

Latest posts