It's tax time

Help Support CattleToday:

........."the real jobs come from Wall Street".........

Can you 'splain that a little more? I'm under the impression that the jobs created by Wall Street consist of paper-shuffling, and produce nothing other than more paper to shuffle. I don't consider that to be a "real job".

Jim62":3is7sje8 said:
........."the real jobs come from Wall Street".........

Can you 'splain that a little more? I'm under the impression that the jobs created by Wall Street consist of paper-shuffling, and produce nothing other than more paper to shuffle. I don't consider that to be a "real job".

How do you think coperations raise capital ? They sell stock, they sell commercial paper, buy commercial paper
borrow from investment banks.
Oct. 8 (Bloomberg) -- MetLife Inc., the biggest U.S. life insurer, plans to raise capital and cut jobs after saying third- quarter profit fell as much as 48 percent.

MetLife is selling 75 million shares, valued at $2.8 billion at current prices, the New York-based company said yesterday in a statement. The insurer wants to assure investors it has liquidity to meet obligations and enable the company ``to take advantage of potential opportunities,'' Chief Executive Officer Robert Henrikson said. Last week, Atlantic Equities analyst Alan Devlin predicted MetLife could raise capital to bid on assets of American International Group Inc.

I'm proud to say we are already DONE and filed...But I have to confess ,the wife is a very attentive type and has a degree in accounting (although not her career)..
One thing I wanted to pass on related to depreciation , with the stimulus package last year, they put in place some extra deductions for equipment purchases..It SAVED us a LOT of money since we bought a new tractor and some other equipment last year... You all should read the link below if you are doing your own taxes...
http://taxes.suite101.com/article.cfm/e ... ct_of_2008

Thanks for all your response's, i do my own taxes every year and it's a nightmare trying to keep myself informed. There are way, way too many rules and forms.

cowsrus":2eomk5zc said:
Thanks for all your response's, i do my own taxes every year and it's a nightmare trying to keep myself informed. There are way, way too many rules and forms.

This is why the average American gets in trouble, I read somewhere the average citizen has an IQ of 90 and reads on a fifth grade level.
These laws are written by lawyers with the intent of confusion.
Very few people understand the tax codes including the IRS agents they have red flags. If you raise a red flag then they start digging into your present and past returns.
Same thing applies to economics after you get past the balancing the family checkbook most don't have a clue to what they don't know. We base our thinking on what we know which is a very limited view.
These are the reasons you need an excellent CPA/Financial planner, they do away with a lot of stress and worry.
Besides dealing with IRS issues they can help you plot a coarse for retirement and not have to worry about just living off Social Security and dog food.

Caustic Burno":1vvwhrd3 said:
cowsrus":1vvwhrd3 said:

This is why the average American gets in trouble, I read somewhere the average citizen has an IQ of 90 and reads on a fifth grade level.
These laws are written by lawyers with the intent of confusion.
Very few people understand the tax codes including the IRS agents they have red flags. If you raise a red flag then they start digging into your present and past returns.
Same thing applies to economics after you get past the balancing the family checkbook most don't have a clue to what they don't know. We base our thinking on what we know which is a very limited view.
These are the reasons you need an excellent CPA/Financial planner, they do away with a lot of stress and worry.
Besides dealing with IRS issues they can help you plot a coarse for retirement and not have to worry about just living off Social Security and dog food.
I agree 100% CB that is also when I make anypurchases of more than a few $1000 I always call my accountant first and see if I need to buy it or if it will benefit me on the taxes, I have had her call me in November and tell me you need to spend x amount of $ or you are going to have to pay X amount of taxes and I would sure rather spend my money on something I can see or use than just giving it to the IRS

A good accountant is worth their weight in gold

texanstraders":3ve3jl54 said:
I'm proud to say we are already DONE and filed...But I have to confess ,the wife is a very attentive type and has a degree in accounting (although not her career)..
One thing I wanted to pass on related to depreciation , with the stimulus package last year, they put in place some extra deductions for equipment purchases..It SAVED us a LOT of money since we bought a new tractor and some other equipment last year... You all should read the link below if you are doing your own taxes...
http://taxes.suite101.com/article.cfm/e ... ct_of_2008

You need to keep your eye out for the stimulus package stuff in congress. There are a few things that may be retroactive to 2008. My suggestion would be to get your tax stuff ready but don't send it in for a while yet.

Douglas":2rnur63h said:
You need to keep your eye out for the stimulus package stuff in congress. There are a few things that may be retroactive to 2008. My suggestion would be to get your tax stuff ready but don't send it in for a while yet.

Go ahead and file (if you can....I am still waiting on just about everything myself). If Congress is really stupid and makes something retroactive to 2008 you can always file an ammended return. I really doubt that anything comes down that affects a lot of people in a big way a month after filing began other than another one of these idiotic one time tax rebate checks/stimulus (that last one sure didn't do much to improve the macro economy) and then the earlier you can get your return in the sooner you get the check.

Filed already, big loss on the farm, have money coming back. Figured if I was getting something back I should go ahead and get er done. Hope I never get audited but my tax lady thinks I'll be fine even if I do.

Delivered our "books", W-2s, 1099s etc to our tax man last week. Really helps to have a old fella who was a IRS guy and a farmer. Always saves us a few $$$ and reminds me of deductions I usually don't pay any mind to.
DMc

Latest posts