It's been twenty years ....

Help Support CattleToday:

Earl Thigpen

Reaction score
...since I've seen critters like I have the past couple of years. take scorpions for example. I started seeing them last year all over the place and now they're even in the house. Went to wash my face and hands Saturday morning, turned on the water and here came one of those dad blamed things out of the drain. We used to have to knock our shoes off before puttin' them on lest you get one on the foot. Guess we'll have to start doin' it again.

Those of you from S. Texas, when was the last time you saw a horned toad? A millipeed (sp)? When they all dissapeared I was told it was the cotton pickin fire ants but we got more of them now than twenty years ago. Maybe now we got fire ant resistant scorpions (now that's a scary thought).

I would take all those critters :D If we could get rid of the Deer Ticks. :shock:

I haven't seen a Horny Toad since I was a teenager. Come to think of it I don't remember the last time I saw a Millipeed. I see a lot of toads around here. I don't think I ever saw a toad at the place we moved from. I would like for my kids to see and hold a Horny Toad. We used to see them all the time when I was a kid. Neat critters. I heard it was the fire ants that did them in and I have also heard it was DDT. ??

Canadian_Cowgirl":366k65i2 said:
Victoria":366k65i2 said:
OK, this is right up there with the snake thread. Yet another reason I don't mind -30. :shock:

Exactly!!! :lol:
There aint no gators around here!

Katy
I don't particularly like gators but they are not that dangerous, usually. That is if you kind of stay away from them.

Now those blizzards you folks in the far north have-a person could freeze to death. Not to mention that cold weather makes you hurt all over.
And those bears :shock: you have running all over the place eating people up. And the wolves.

Ryder":26bw0kto said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":26bw0kto said:
Victoria":26bw0kto said:
OK, this is right up there with the snake thread. Yet another reason I don't mind -30. :shock:

Katy
I don't particularly like gators but they are not that dangerous, usually. That is if you kind of stay away from them.

Now those blizzards you folks in the far north have-a person could freeze to death. Not to mention that cold weather makes you hurt all over.
And those bears :shock: you have running all over the place eating people up. And the wolves.

LOL well where im from, the gators will chase you down and eat you! ;-)
Bears wont hurt nothing, were not talking about BC where the deranged bears lives, and never seen a wolf in this here part!

Winters aint that bad, if you have a heated house, and fireplace, and nice guy to keep you warm at night ;-)

Katy

Ryder wrote:
Canadian_Cowgirl wrote:
Victoria wrote:
OK, this is right up there with the snake thread. Yet another reason I don't mind -30.

Exactly!!!

Katy

And those bears you have running all over the place eating people up. And the wolves.

LOL well where im from, the gators will chase you down and eat you!
Bears wont hurt nothing, were not talking about BC where the deranged bears lives, and never seen a wolf in this here part!

Winters aint that bad, if you have a heated house, and fireplace, and nice guy to keep you warm at night

Katy

How true, I will take -40 with a wind chill or -30 over bad snakes, bugs or hurricanes.
But we do have bears, met one berry picking last week, one good reason for a husband, dogs, and a gun, cyotes, and timber wolves

Ryder":3gdtiu5t said:
Canadian_Cowgirl":3gdtiu5t said:
Victoria":3gdtiu5t said:

Katy

Yep them polar bears get to roam everywhere but we do need transportation and they are the only thing that starts in -40 conditions.Also Igloos are really very well insulated so we get along just fine here. ;-) :D :)

Winters aint that bad, if you have a heated house, and fireplace, and nice guy to keep you warm at night ;-)

Katy[/quote]
If a nice guy tried to keep me warm at night there would be some serious trouble.

Here in CT. we get cold but not that cold we may get down to single digits that is cold enough for me. We also don't have the bears, gators, alot of snakes, or fire ants so I guess we are lucky here. We do have coyotes but that is nothing.

Earl Thigpen":3j069z4r said:
...since I've seen critters like I have the past couple of years. take scorpions for example. I started seeing them last year all over the place and now they're even in the house. Went to wash my face and hands Saturday morning, turned on the water and here came one of those dad blamed things out of the drain. We used to have to knock our shoes off before puttin' them on lest you get one on the foot. Guess we'll have to start doin' it again.

Those of you from S. Texas, when was the last time you saw a horned toad? A millipeed (sp)? When they all dissapeared I was told it was the cotton pickin fire ants but we got more of them now than twenty years ago. Maybe now we got fire ant resistant scorpions (now that's a scary thought).

I can remember getting stung by scorpions all the time when I was a kid. They were everywhere. I found one in the den a few weeks ago.

Tarantulas are another one. I have a friend who lives in Covington and has them all in her yard. My son found one in our yard last week and it was the first one I had seen in a long time in the wild.

I haven't seen a horned toad in forever. I hear that they are still out in west Texas. Fire ants. They are to blame for all of this. :mad: There used to be horned toads everywhere when I was a kid. I mean everywhere.

Latest posts