Itchy insect bites in KY

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I am no stranger to chigger bites. A chigger bite usually lasts a couple of days with me and makes a red place about the size of a pencil eraser. For the last couple of years, however, I get something that is different.

I'm not eaten alive, but after spending the day fencing or in the fields, I get 4 or 5 bites around the ankle that are just tiny, red dots, but they itch like crazy. The first morning that i wake up with these bites, it feels like I've got a burning, itchy strap around my ankle. The initial itch only lasts for about three days, but they actually leave a place for weeks. I get bites higher on the body, such as thighs and stomach, that look more like a chigger, but these things can remain for weeks. The crazy itch only lasts a few days, but the place remains for weeks and retains an itchy feel during that time, but not an extreme itch.

As a kid, I could walk through the field and get chiggers all over me, but I heard older people say that chiggers didn't bother them much anymore. I had gotten to that stage where i only got one occasionally. If I knew I was going to be in the field or woods all day, I would spray my boots and pant legs with Off or raid, and that certainly kept them away. But these new guys sometimes get me even with that treatment.

Of course, everybody where I live has their theory from Turkey Mites to an array of other things. Does this sound familiar to anyone else? What are they and what is the best treatment?

Just recently we have been getting the same thing. I haven't put one under a microscope, but I think they are baby ticks. And yes they do itch like crazy.

kickinbull":2s17nl32 said:
Just recently we have been getting the same thing. I haven't put one under a microscope, but I think they are baby ticks. And yes they do itch like crazy.
typically seed ticks burn like crazy as they're first attaching. Lately the wife has been getting covered by some little red mite looking things. They wash right off and/or die when sprayed with off.

Eat some pickles or any other vinegar type foods and this will help keep them off you and on other people. Also, sulfur water is helpful.

apparently in my doterage I have gotten a little more tender and tasty to the varmitry.....
vinegar and hot sauces are consumed by me in mass quantities not for pest control but beacuse I like that sort of stuff and yet the varmits love me..
ticks awfult here this year.....early summer it was not unusual for me to get twenty or more per day off of me after a day in the fields. this was using bug bug spray....
got tested for lyme a couple of years ago and doc said he would be amazed if I did not have it but I did not.....turned out I felt lousy because of rheumatoid arthritis......but the meds really help that.....

ticks were awful on the horses this year....cattle not so bad....explain that one if you can.....

Red Bull Breeder.....
you obviously have not bought any horse feed lately.....
if I did not enjoy em so much I would have to eat em myself.....

I have the samel problem here-- I have what I think are chigger bites- but the itch and rash are the size of a dollar coin.
Nail polish used to work- but not this time.
and the itch is going on a week and no sighs of letting up

Not many ticks here this year, but during last year's drought, they were terrible. When ticks aren't on animals or people, they survive by happily sucking on plant sap. In dry years, they are much more apt to grab on to anything that walks by.

I have on occasion attached an insecticide ear tag to my boots and never got bit by anything. Once worked cows in a mesquito, gnat, chigger, and tick infested river bottom. My job was to apply the Ivomec Pour-on. I never got one insect bite. The rest of the crew was ate up. Of course this may explain why I might be crazy today.

Mid South Guy":2srpoadv said:
I have on occasion attached an insecticide ear tag to my boots and never got bit by anything. Once worked cows in a mesquito, gnat, chigger, and tick infested river bottom. My job was to apply the Ivomec Pour-on. I never got one insect bite. The rest of the crew was ate up. Of course this may explain why I might be crazy today.

I WOULD CREDIT THE IVOMEC MORE THAN THE EAR TAG

I had an uncle that had this exact same problem. He died. Seems he bent over to scratch the pesky bites and his bull took it as an invitation. The bull didn't kill him, the embarassment did.

melking":g34qfd9w said:
I had an uncle that had this exact same problem. He died. Seems he bent over to scratch the pesky bites and his bull took it as an invitation. The bull didn't kill him, the embarassment did.
Rectim' heck, it kilt him
Old joke

pdfangus":2ptxrwoo said:
apparently in my doterage I have gotten a little more tender and tasty to the varmitry.....
vinegar and hot sauces are consumed by me in mass quantities not for pest control but beacuse I like that sort of stuff and yet the varmits love me..
ticks awfult here this year.....early summer it was not unusual for me to get twenty or more per day off of me after a day in the fields. this was using bug bug spray....
got tested for lyme a couple of years ago and doc said he would be amazed if I did not have it but I did not.....turned out I felt lousy because of rheumatoid arthritis......but the meds really help that.....

ticks were awful on the horses this year....cattle not so bad....explain that one if you can.....

Just think of how many you'd have on your body had you not consumed such delicacies.

melking":moyobo34 said:

now that was funny.... :cowboy: :lol2:

Both Ticks and Chiggers are terrible here this year. Two weeks ago I got ate up by what I assume was chiggers. Must have had a thousand bites. I was miserable for about 4 days. I am picking a lot of ticks off the dog as well. I assume it has soemthing to do with the mild winter we had. Perhpas the drought is also a cause in some way??

Sense we're on the subject of insects,I have noticed something werid going on here.
I have not seen one wasp or dirt dobber,or honey bees this year.
I was just talking about this with a feller yesterday. This is very unusual.
I pay close attention to the above because I'm highly allergec to wasp's and honey bee's.
And another thing,by this time of year I have moved at least twenty or so fire ant hills from my yard.So far this year only one.

Cal

Latest posts