It Always Amazes Me

Help Support CattleToday:

Hasbeen

Reaction score
As I watched a new calf stand and get it's first meal yesterday, I was, as always, amazed that little critter could only minutes after being born not only know to stand and suckle but even figure out which end of it's mama to go to and where to look. IMO, there are few creatures dumber than a cow, yet without any instuction she knows to lick the calf clean and gently encourage it to get up and eat. Call it simply instinct or nature, but I believe you can see the hand of The Almighty in every newborn's first reactions. I know of no other way to explain it. Anyone else marvel at these things?

I wached a heifer calve on Friday morning from a distance. I too was amazed at the calf and the heifer. It always makes me smile.

That afternoon, I went to catch that little calf and tag her. I was equally amazed at the fight and energy in her.

Calving season is a truly magical time of year for me - always has been - in spite of the lost sleep, pulling calves on occasion at 4 AM, bottling calves during snow storms to get them jumpstarted, scours....... I love watching the little guys try to figure out how to work those legs, tumbling ass over appetite, getting it sort of figured out and actually standing - although precariously, only to have Mom swipe them with her tongue, and send them tumbling again, then finally wobbling over for their first meal! I'm not sure there is anything more rewarding, or more special, than watching a newborn of any species arriving, getting it figured out, getting their belly full, then curling up and going to sleep contented. :D

msscamp":22gwnizf said:
Calving season is a truly magical time of year for me - always has been - in spite of the lost sleep, pulling calves on occasion at 4 AM, bottling calves during snow storms to get them jumpstarted, scours....... I love watching the little guys try to figure out how to work those legs, tumbling ass over appetite, getting it sort of figured out and actually standing - although precariously, only to have Mom swipe them with her tongue, and send them tumbling again, then finally wobbling over for their first meal! I'm not sure there is anything more rewarding, or more special, than watching a newborn of any species arriving, getting it figured out, getting their belly full, then curling up and going to sleep contented. :D

Precisely... :nod:

Alice

msscamp":1v9tjkz3 said:

Well said Msscamp,
Even use hard heads are amazed at times.
MD

redfornow":f2o3c6un said:
msscamp":f2o3c6un said:

Well said Msscamp,
Even use hard heads are amazed at times.
MD

:) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The calf I saw was not from one of my heifers (my first ones aren't due till February). She was scampering about yesterday and appears to be strong and healthy. We had a frost last weekend so all the grass is gone now. I put hay in the rings yesterday and was noticing the little calf laying at mama's feet amoung the other 20 head feeding at the rings. For those of you with fall calves, do you lose many to being trampled at times like this?

Latest posts