Is this bull big enough to breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Hard to tell his size real well from the picture, but I think he should do ok for light service as long as there's not a huge size difference between him and your cows. Physically he could find a way to make it happen, but like you say you don't want him to get hurt trying either. I would make sure to keep feeding him along since he has a lot of growing to do and working will take some out of him. I bought my current bull about that same age/size, and he has done fine. He only had 3 or 4 cows for his first few months though.

I had a little 13 month old jersey bull last year I got from my neighbor. He had trouble getting up on top of the heifers. He was so short he could bareley get on their back. I told my neighbor and he said it didnt matter if he had to to back flips he would get them bred. I guess he knew how to do back flips cause he bred those heifers. My neighbor uses little jerseys for big charolais heifers and they get it done.

Light service, 2 should be ok, but I might slip him some extra groceries/ feed to keep him growing .

Latest posts