Big boy

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
IMG_6058.jpegFound this guy last week . Mom wasn't mothering him up very much and left him on one side of the pasture and she was across the 40 and in the neighbors pasture that joins us . We use that pasture and it's about 15 acres . Couldn't get her to go to him so I had the bright idea of putting him in the back seat floorboard of the Polaris. I couldn't pick him up ! He has to be over 90lbs and folded in the middle when I tried to pick him up . I finally got his front end and then his back end in the floorboard. She didn't act to concerned when I dropped him over near her . He tried nursing , first the right end and then the front end . Wasn't sure he ever nursed . Next morning I got them up and milked her; about a half gallon . Offered him a bottle but never got him to take it . But he nursed when I let them out . Haven't seen him nurse yesterday but he was up and going today and her bag was definitely smaller . Looks older than 5 days .

View attachment 44727Found this guy last week . Mom wasn't mothering him up very much and left him on one side of the pasture and she was across the 40 and in the neighbors pasture that joins us . We use that pasture and it's about 15 acres . Couldn't get her to go to him so I had the bright idea of putting him in the back seat floorboard of the Polaris. I couldn't pick him up ! He has to be over 90lbs and folded in the middle when I tried to pick him up . I finally got his front end and then his back end in the floorboard. She didn't act to concerned when I dropped him over near her . He tried nursing , first the right end and then the front end . Wasn't sure he ever nursed . Next morning I got them up and milked her; about a half gallon . Offered him a bottle but never got him to take it . But he nursed when I let them out . Haven't seen him nurse yesterday but he was up and going today and her bag was definitely smaller . Looks older than 5 days .
He's a dang nice looking calf. Is he a Gizmo?

No sir he's a Quaker Hill Rampage . We have 28 calves on the ground out of him . Most are in the 60-70 lb range . But this calf and 1 I lost last month have been big . Figure it's coming from the cow side when only 2 out of 29 have been that big .

Last edited:
We have 2 Quaker Hill bulls that we got a year ago. First calves on the ground out of heifers... probably the same 60-75 lb range, they were slightly calving ease which we needed... NICE calves so far... Have 7 on the ground, one more to go... even the one out of the longhorn is a nice calf... she must have real high butterfat as her calves always grow good... I don't have their papers in front of me so cannot tell you the breeding...
Good disposition bulls to work around too...

We have 2 Quaker Hill bulls that we got a year ago. First calves on the ground out of heifers... probably the same 60-75 lb range, they were slightly calving ease which we needed... NICE calves so far... Have 7 on the ground, one more to go... even the one out of the longhorn is a nice calf... she must have real high butterfat as her calves always grow good... I don't have their papers in front of me so cannot tell you the breeding...
Good disposition bulls to work around too...
Our Rampage son acts all bad but he respects when you tell him to get along . He's a bull so I don't put myself in bad situations with him . I've been well pleased with his calves . We have bred him to a group of heifers without any problems so far and our second time calvers . There's also a few older cows in with him , most of our commercial stuff that aren't purebred black angus . It was getting past time to put a bull in and I couldn't find one when I found him. Wasn't 100% sold on him but the guy had 2 yearling sons out of him that were impressive. So I took a chance on him . So far so good . Have thought of selling him , he's 6 . Even though slaughter bulls are high , so are replacements !

Last edited:
Nice calf. Sometimes they will give you fits trying to figure out what's going on like if they nursed or not.
I never did use Rampage or any suns but always figured he would probably be a bull I liked in terms of frame and growth of calves.

Nice calf. Sometimes they will give you fits trying to figure out what's going on like if they nursed or not.
I never did use Rampage or any suns but always figured he would probably be a bull I liked in terms of frame and growth of calves.
He is the laziest calf I think I've had . I got that picture but normally I can't find him . He's piled up in the tall grass and impossible to find .

Latest posts