Is there any animal that eats multi flora roses?

Help Support CattleToday:

Saltydawg

Reaction score
Got some areas of the farm I want to use but have a TON of Multiflora rose and other weeds.

I have a bulldozer but there's quite a few big trees in the area I would need to remove first...which is a problem reaching them to cut cause of the nasty overgrowth.
Bulldozer moves the soil around a lot too which requires further work before i can use the ground.

Anyhow was just wondering what animal would work good if I put a fence around the area and just dumped some critters in there.

I know pigs make good bulldozers but they get a little carried away lol.

I just want the land cleared for pasture use. Pigs tend to remove EVERYTHING...including the grasses.

A gent up the orad had a wood lot of about 5 acres that was over grown with MFR. He turned 2 camels in there for a month or so and now it looks like a nuclear bomb went off. Everything from 6 foot down to the ground is totally gone except for the trees that were 4-5 inches in diameter or bigger. Don;t know if he fed them anything else while they were in there. He now has a herd of fallow deer in the area and they look like they're starving to death.

dun

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":5fnq5e2u said:
:lol2: Oh great Dun. And just where in NewYork would one buy some camels :?: :lol2:

I don;t even know where he got them in MO! Those were the only things I can remember that really did a job on the MFR, but next year we'll see when the seeds in the manure start to sprout. He may have created a bigger problem then he thinks he solved.

dun

Salty

You may want to investigate goats. Seems I have read that they will really get after multiflora rose.

Regards

Brock

Texas PaPaw was right; goats are the way to go. We had a few pygmy goats a few years back and they did a number on the undergrowth. Anything smaller than about 2" in diameter will be history.

Yea guess I'll go inquire about some goats since camels would probably be a little harder to get :lol:

Thanks guys

Saltydawg":2gp0pmrv said:
Got some areas of the farm I want to use but have a TON of Multiflora rose and other weeds.

Anyhow was just wondering what animal would work good if I put a fence around the area and just dumped some critters in there.

I just want the land cleared for pasture use. Pigs tend to remove EVERYTHING...including the grasses.

Sheep

Stocker Steve":175csejt said:
Saltydawg":175csejt said:

Sheep

Would sheep be easier to care for than goats?

What I'm kinda planning is to build a shed on some 6x6 skids and use some sort of movable pen and then just move them from spot to spot around the farm.

Was thinking of using one of those battery powered electric fencers in combination with some sort of woven fence i could move fairly easy.

sheep would NOT be easier to care for than goats. sheep are prone to a disease known as "dying". they get worms and die. they let anything that moves kill and eat them. sheep are dumb. goats are smart. goats will eat anything within reason, sheep are more selective. the goat market is going up up up. if you cant find any camels, get some goats. if you want some goats that act like sheep, get some fainting goats.

Beefy,

I second your opinion. After a brief stint showing market lambs in 4-H many moons ago, my family concluded that sheep are born looking for a way to die.

Beefy":2yntvkre said:
sheep would NOT be easier to care for than goats. sheep are prone to a disease known as "dying". they get worms and die. they let anything that moves kill and eat them. sheep are dumb. goats are smart. goats will eat anything within reason, sheep are more selective. the goat market is going up up up. if you cant find any camels, get some goats. if you want some goats that act like sheep, get some fainting goats.

You know its funny you mention the price of goats going up.

Dropped off a steer to the butcher the other day and he was talking about a co-op forming and buying the place.
Apparently there are some Jewish people in the coop and this means they won't butcher any pigs anymore :( .

Anyhow as we were talking he mentioned they were planning on bringing in Boer goats...entire purpose of the co-op...to cater to the Muslim population.

Apparently there are several muslim holidays or traditions that involve killing and eating goats, and some people are willing to pay a premium to be able to come and kill the goat themselves and then have it butchered at the shop.
Of course I guess they have certain rules as to how the goats are raised and handled but they're willing t pay a premium for it.

Sounds like I might be getting some goats soon lol.

When I went by the "camelot" today I noticed that the deer are gone too. Looking closer I also saw that even the smaller cedars, as high as a camel could reach, were stripped down to the wood. Maybe the guy is onto something. He could rent them out as land clearing tools.

dun

Beefy":t7yb2pzj said:
giraffes would be really cool. i bet theyd eat a lot of stuff...

The camels could strip the lower stuff then the giraffes could follow along behind and clean up what's left. Are we going to be seeing "Beefys foliage removal service" soon?

dun

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":29ei4h8t said:
:Oh great Dun. And just where in NewYork would one buy some camels

Fencing is a cost issue with either sheep or goats, but I have no camel grazing experience. Camels may be a great way to save on the watering system investment. Dun - do you have the specs for camel fence or water :?:

Preditors are an issue with sheep so most folks end up with guard dogs or donkeys. My neighbor liked sheep from his 4H days, so he after he found a deal he dumped (only barbed wire fence) the semi load of ewes into the middle of his cow pasture. Lost a bunch to yots the first winter but then he got a guard dog. Lost a lot of lambs to eagles the first spring but then the eagles disappeared. Has been making good money since.

You have to dig more holes when you graze sheep rather than cattle, but the holes do not need to be as big! :D

If you dont give them alot of other stuff to eat some animals that will eat the multflora rose are llamas, goats, corriente cattle and longhorn cattle, to a lesser extent.
Dun, I wonder if the camels came from that exotic farm at Brookline? They have a large herd of camels and zebras. I havent seen their other exotic animals, they may have sold the others. I cant remember the name of it, though

Latest posts