Is there a difference between a BWF and a Black Baldy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Quite a few BWF cows in our herd. Absolutely no Hereford anywhere behind any of them - at least not in the past 30 years. Simmental.

I know; of course, I know what's behind most of my cows, and to me, the Simmental influenced 'baldies' have a different pattern than traditional Hereford-sired 'baldies' - but some of mine - with multiple crosses of Angus on top of that long-ago Simmental infusion, would pass for a 'traditional' Black Baldy.
And, look in the sire & sale catalogs... not many Simmentals available anymore that aren't solid black, but if they've got a white face, they call 'em 'baldies'.

It gets down to semantics, and one's own personal viewpoint, to some degree. So... An AngusXHereford (we made ours 50 years ago running Angus bulls on Hereford cows) is a Black Baldie. But, then, that begs the question, if she's 7/8-15/16 Angus, and looks just like her 50/50 contemporaries, is she a Black Baldie or a BWF? And, does anyone really care?

Unless you're buying them from a place where you know they're producing HerefordXAngus crosses, you really don't know what you're getting, other than a BWF.

Latest posts