Is there a difference between a BWF and a Black Baldy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Okay why not open up this can of worms. Yes a BWF is just that, a BB is a BA X Hereford. Therefore a bb is a BWF, but not all BWF are BB.

I thought BB was a Belgian Blue...I'm just kidding! I thought black baldy are black hided cow with white face regardless of what breed.

TennesseeTuxedo":27294jzx said:
M5farm":27294jzx said:
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=767241
dun":27294jzx said:
In todays time, a black baldy is no more then a coat description. Doesn;t have diddly to do with genetics.

Clearly the author of that gem is not a purist.

YES but clearly the author needs no introduction or warrants any criticism.

TennesseeTuxedo":2mhypwvr said:
Taurus":2mhypwvr said:
I thought BB was a Belgian Blue...I'm just kidding! I thought black baldy are black hided cow with white face regardless of what breed.

And I thought they were only Angus X Hereford and if you're a purist then the Hereford has to be horned.
I thought Black Hereford is Angus x Hereford?

I think perhaps before every breed turned black, a BWF, or a black baldy were herf x angus, there just wasn't anything else out there, but now if you bring a cow like ALACOWMAN's to the sale barn, it'll get sold as a BWF or black baldy.

Then you can generalize more with the reds, I have a cow and her daughter that are spitting images of each other, white face, white hind legs socks and belly... I'd call them red baldies... the calf is gelbvieh sired, as is the mother, Grandma was a Saler x Herf brockleface...
20140511_130106_zps142d01b9.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo":2tyh1cza said:
Taurus":2tyh1cza said:

And I thought they were only Angus X Hereford and if you're a purist then the Hereford has to be horned.

No offense but why do you feel horned over polled is more "pure?" Hereford is Hereford although there are still bias out there where some feel horned Hereford bulls are better than Polled but I don't believe that line of BS one bit. You can find impressive bulls regardless of horn status

SPH":k1gyq7j4 said:
No offense but why do you feel horned over polled is more "pure?" Hereford is Hereford although there are still bias out there where some feel horned Hereford bulls are better than Polled but I don't believe that line of BS one bit. You can find impressive bulls regardless of horn status
It probably goes back to the only baldy is a Hereford Angus. Anyone that is still stuck on that is probably still stuck on the only true Hereford is horned.

dun":2oimv552 said:
SPH":2oimv552 said:
It probably goes back to the only baldy is a Hereford Angus. Anyone that is still stuck on that is probably still stuck on the only true Hereford is horned.

I think the most common black baldy in the beginning was a horned bull on angus cows, I may be wrong. As far as why horned over polled..... .??? I do believe horned Herefords, line 1's included, are far ahead for the most part of were polled Herefords are today. I use plenty of polled Herefords that rank among the best in all Hereford genetics, but we are still catching up to the great horned genetics.

So not to completely hijack my thread, any black bull that happens to throw a BWF is considered a baldy? I think not! :D

SPH":1rtl36pq said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1rtl36pq said:
Taurus":1rtl36pq said:

SPH, I borrowed that "purest" line from the thread about the Hereford yearling bull. I confess it was not my on material.

M5, I was clearly jesting.

to me a black baldie is a black cow with a white face like a bald face horse and a BWF is more marked like Herefords use to be , white face with white legs and belly with white on withers ,so more Hereford marked , as helping a rancher with cattle ,when calves were born at night we wrote the description of the calf and sex with the cows tag /brand number, black baldie , BWF , black , black
brockle ect same for red Suzanne

Alan":18vg2ngy said:
Okay why not open up this can of worms. Yes a BWF is just that, a BB is a BA X Hereford. Therefore a bb is a BWF, but not all BWF are BB.

Great definition. I was just yanking your chain in the other thread. You have great cattle but Oregon guys can get a little bit serious and maybe don't laugh as much as they should. I lived one hour south of Oregon for many years.

JWBrahman":3b8bsii4 said:
Alan":3b8bsii4 said:

Great definition. I was just yanking your chain in the other thread. You have great cattle but Oregon guys can get a little bit serious and maybe don't laugh as much as they should. I lived one hour south of Oregon for many years.

I'm just still pizzed off about the LSU Oregon game in Dallas TX a couple of years ago! :D :mad: :lol: :roll: :lol: . Am I serious? :lol: :lol:

The game in Dallas was more of a home game for LSU. Emmert up in Washington didn't want you in the big game and he used to be our chancellor. But hey, your players were smoking weed, our players were smoking weed, so it is a wash. :lol:

If I want a house built well, on time, and on budget I am hiring those serious fellas from Oregon. You boys are the finest craftsmen on the planet.

In California all world class manufacturing is done by people from out of state. I work in the glass business and spent a lot of time with guys from Oregon and Washington, trust me. :D

MN, sorry to hijack your thread. Nice bull btw.

-according to wikipedia-

Last edited 11 months ago by ClueBot NG
Black Baldy
This page has some issues

A Black Baldy cow and calf
Black Baldy is a type of crossbred beef cattle produced by crossing Hereford cattle with a solid black breed, usually Aberdeen Angus. Angus bulls are also used on Hereford heifers in an attempt to produce smaller calves and reduce dystocia. The term is particularly used in Australia and New Zealand. In North America, the term "Black Whiteface" is also used in some regions.

It is characterized by a white face similar to the Hereford, but the red body color of the Hereford is replaced by black from the Angus. This is because both the alleles for white faces and black coat color are both genetically dominant in cattle.

Black Baldy cows are noted for their good mothering abilities. In addition to general hybrid vigor expected with a crossbred, the cross also produces black skin, which in sunny climates reduces the prevalence of sunburn on bare skin, such as the udder of the cow.

The prevalence of Black Baldies significantly increases wherever cattle breeders switch from the traditional Hereford herds to the Aberdeen Angus breed.

A cross of Hereford cattle on predominantly black-colored dairy breeds results in a similarly-marked crossbred called the Black Hereford in the British Isles.

Read in another language
Mobile‌Desktop
Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 unless otherwise noted.
Terms of UsePrivacy

Latest posts