Is it that hard to find a truck

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms":2w7ctnmg said:
I don't think there's alot of difference in heavy single wheel trucks. I would go with a GM because of having the 6.0, dads got a 07 6.0 in a 3/4 ton with 280k and that engine has been 100% trouble free since new and is showing no sign of slowing down. I also think having that Alison 6spd with the 6.0 would make a good truck.
Think you better check some more Chevy gas trucks Do have a 6speed auto but have been told it is NOT an Allison transmission
the 8.1 gas engine was the only one to ever have the Allison

HDRider":h03p5pme said:
OK, you guys saved me money - I am going SRW and gas.

Is there really this big a swing between Ford and GMC on towing?
Ford is 12K, where GMC is 22K...
Ford
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/sp ... ns/towing/

GMC
http://www.gmc.com/sierra-3500hd-pickup ... g_box.html

Shocking difference. What am I missing?

Look at these towing charts, It has a chart for both bumper pull and 5th wheel trailers and the 6.0 gas and 6.6 diesel. The 6.0 with 3.73 gears is in the 9k range and with 4.10 goes 13k-14k depending on truck configuration.
http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/to ... #container

saltbranch":1rirnvq4 said:
HDRider":1rirnvq4 said:
OK, you guys saved me money - I am going SRW and gas.

Is there really this big a swing between Ford and GMC on towing?
Ford is 12K, where GMC is 22K...
Ford
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/sp ... ns/towing/

GMC
http://www.gmc.com/sierra-3500hd-pickup ... g_box.html

Shocking difference. What am I missing?

Look at these towing charts, It has a chart for both bumper pull and 5th wheel trailers and the 6.0 gas and 6.6 diesel. The 6.0 with 3.73 gears is in the 9k range and with 4.10 goes 13k-14k depending on truck configuration.
http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing/to ... #container

There is some showing 22K..
gmc-experience-towing-trailering-tab05-chart07-642x523.jpg

HD check that you are comparing the same number on the Ford and the GM. There should be a GVW & a GCVWR I think you are looking at GVW on the Ford & the other on the GM. They build them all so competitive now your not gonna find that kind of spread on the same truck. Just look at the motor numbers & how close they are. Me personally I think Ford makes a better truck but opinions are like toes everybody has them & I am not gonna start that debate again! :hide: Salt branches chart explains it the 22k is for the Dmax diesel. Sorry that's your chart!

HD the 22k is for the for the diesel with a 5th wheel, not the gas truck. Chart on the left is for bumper pull trailers, 1st is the 6.0 then the 6.6. Chart on right is for 5th wheel with 6.0 and 6.6 ratings. I think there was a typo in the first link you posted. 22k would be a stretch for any gas truck of any brand I think. I thought it was cool that GMC has a chart for the bumper pull ratings with 6.0/6.6 and a 5th wheel chart with the 6.0/6.6

I did know the higher towing was on the D. That said, the Ford does not go that high in any config.

I did see the one thing that might explain it. The brakes on the GMC are much bigger.

Angus Cowman":3itegdmf said:
denvermartinfarms":3itegdmf said:
I don't think there's alot of difference in heavy single wheel trucks. I would go with a GM because of having the 6.0, dads got a 07 6.0 in a 3/4 ton with 280k and that engine has been 100% trouble free since new and is showing no sign of slowing down. I also think having that Alison 6spd with the 6.0 would make a good truck.
Think you better check some more Chevy gas trucks Do have a 6speed auto but have been told it is NOT an Allison transmission
Ok, I knew they had a 6spd auto that could be shifted manually like the alision in the diesels. And I had a guy tell me the other day that he had a new 3/4 ton 6.0 with a alision, but I haven't personally checked. Dads is a early 07 that still had the 5spd auto.

I'm sorry if I gave bad information, I was just going on what I was told by someone who said he owned one.

HDRider":elnwluz2 said:
I did know the higher towing was on the D. That said, the Ford does not go that high in any config.

I did see the one thing that might explain it. The brakes on the GMC are much bigger.

Ford will make up for the towing in durability. HDR I look at towing ratings same as when I look at motorcycle cc's and what they do in the 1/4 mile off the show room floor and ask myself will I be putting this to the test and doing everything this bike can do absolutely not and if I do put it to a good test it may be once or twice same applies for my trucks I buy. I can only tell you this no dodges will be found in my fleet nor chevy. You will find a chevy here before you find a dodge.

HDRider":mizrbbhk said:
Hook":mizrbbhk said:
That's probably the v10. I don't know much about them. I don't think they are well liked. The 5.4 though is a great engine. Biggest issue with them is the coil over plugs and the passenger rear spark plug is prone to seizing.

Maybe new for 2015, coming this spring... - Engine - 6.2L SOHC 2-valve V8 Flex Fuel engine (F-250/350)
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/compare/

...................Ford..........GM
Horsepower..316 @ 4179 : 322 @ 4400
Torque........397 @ 4179 : 380 @ 4400
Tow..........12K.........:....22K

GM seems to beat Ford by the numbers..

The fords still have 400 hp and 400 ft -lbs when they are rated over 10k gross(f-350 and up), but the posted hp is lower due to being tested at a lower rpm than under 10k. Look at what rpm they are rating the 400 hp and 316 hp engine and you will understand. If you go with a ford I would hold out for a 4.30 rear end with the electronic locking diff. You are only going to lose 1mpg and will help greatly while towing. I also do not think you could go wrong with gas for a farm truck. Cheaper buy in, much cheaper repairs, and with gas being 60 to 80 cents cheaper, your cost per mile will be the same. A wise old man that made his living on cattle and hauled more cattle and hay than I ever will told me once that a diesel was a waste of money in a pickup, if you could not pull a load with a gas one ton, get a used single axle tractor.

Everyone's definition of pulling power is different. One guy may say a F250 with 5.4 pulls his 8k trailer "just fine". I may say it feels weak and won't run 60 in OD. I may not NEED a diesel, but I prefer to have one because when I tow I prefer to not even feel the load behind me. Straining the guts out of a gas motor isn't "pulling fine" IMO. Any of the big three make a solid truck, just depends on which brand styling you like. They all have their quirks no matter the make/model. The biggest issue with the new diesels is the emissions crap. You can save some money buying used and doing the deletes, then you have a truck that has more power than the new ones and will be more reliable.

If I HAD to buy a gas truck I'd probably get the 6.0 Chevy or 6.2 Ford.

denvermartinfarms":22u4saet said:
Angus Cowman":22u4saet said:
denvermartinfarms":22u4saet said:
Ok, I knew they had a 6spd auto that could be shifted manually like the alision in the diesels. And I had a guy tell me the other day that he had a new 3/4 ton 6.0 with a alision, but I haven't personally checked. Dads is a early 07 that still had the 5spd auto.

I'm sorry if I gave bad information, I was just going on what I was told by someone who said he owned one.

Its going back and forth. My 08 1500 did not have an Allison. My 2010 did. Looks like the 2013 and newer doesn't. Ill look up the 3/4 tons later.

Brute 23 said:
Its going back and forth. My 08 1500 did not have an Allison. My 2010 did. Looks like the 2013 and newer doesn't. Ill look up the 3/4 tons later.

You must of had a special truck because GM says the have never put a Allison in their gas trucks besides the 8.1 and have never put one in a 1500 at all said they weren't even available on special order
they say the 5 and 6 speed auto's they used were a MY06 and a MY07

one way to tell an Allison transmission is if they have an external spin on transmission filter

Angus Cowman":3q2gcg8w said:
Brute 23 said:

You must of had a special truck because GM says the have never put a Allison in their gas trucks besides the 8.1 and have never put one in a 1500 at all said they weren't even available on special order

one way to tell an Allison transmission is if they have an external spin on transmission filter
[/quote]

That's interesting. I may have to dig a little on that. It wouldn't be the first time I got screwed by a car dealer.

Brute 23":3nlbu312 said:
Angus Cowman":3nlbu312 said:
Brute 23 said:

That's interesting. I may have to dig a little on that. It wouldn't be the first time I got screwed by a car dealer.[/quote][/quote][/quote]
Yea, I'm 99% sure there was never a alision in any half ton truck.

Angus Cowman":1pfatdzf said:
Brute 23 said:

[/quote]
Ditto
No Allison behind a gas v-8 except the 8.1.
The 4l60 and 4l60-e were the 1500 trannys
The 4L80 & 4l80-E were in the gas 2500/3500
New 1500's have the 6L80
new 2500/3500 gas trucks have the 6L90

Latest posts