Is it possible for a 5 month old bull to breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

All I know is that if you don't want your calves bred bull the bull thats in with the cows you really should consider using MGA in a place that the cows can't get to it. It doesn't take much and you could realize your money back in additional weight gain and loss of profitability of a 5 month old pregnant heifer. I remember hearing somewhere that lute affects smooth muscles. The uterus is a smooth muscle as well as the lungs. I also remember hearing that it oxidizes the muscle around the injection site. I haven't heard of any ill side effect of MGA but that could just be ignorance on my part. I should also point out that alot of the sync protocols use MGA instead of lute. If you wanted to breed your heifers not to long after weaning they should all be cycling pretty close together after creeping and then abruptly stop feeding the MGA. Not that I would recommend breeding shortly after weaning.

Sizmic

sizmic said:
All I know is that if you don't want your calves bred bull the bull thats in with the cows you really should consider using MGA in a place that the cows can't get to it. It doesn't take much and you could realize your money back in additional weight gain and loss of profitability of a 5 month old pregnant heifer. I remember hearing somewhere that lute affects smooth muscles. The uterus is a smooth muscle as well as the lungs. I also remember hearing that it oxidizes the muscle around the injection site. I haven't heard of any ill side effect of MGA but that could just be ignorance on my part. I should also point out that alot of the sync protocols use MGA instead of lute. If you wanted to breed your heifers not to long after weaning they should all be cycling pretty close together after creeping and then abruptly stop feeding the MGA. Not that I would recommend breeding shortly after weaning.

Sizmic[/quote

Wow At the rate I'm going on this thread I'll be out of business by thursday.

Here's the situation:

Heifers born in March
Bull goes in with cows June 1st
Heifers start bullin late july
Bull probably breeds a couple before we take him out Sept 15th
Sept 15th heifers older than 4mo get a shot of Lutalayse
Lutalayse is effective up to 100 days post conception
If we know we have more than 100days pregnant no Lutalayse

Appreciate all your help sizmic but if you come up with any more doomsday senarious. I'm just gonna shoot all the cows and start raisin rabbits. Heck it sounds like this Lutalayse if not used properly could cause . absecesses, puemonia, boils, blisters, carbuncules and venerial warts. I'm scared to even touch the bottle for fear of contracting ghonerea. LOL

I think I'' leave the use of MGA to the feedlots. Sounds like something I don't want anywhere near my cows of heifers.

I hope you know I'm just kiddin. Thanks for the help.

sizmic":5ba9ouec said:
Don't put words in my mouth msscamp!

That was certainly not my intent, and I'm sorry if it came across that way. :oops: Believe it or not, that was an honest question.

I was just merely stating that you could use MGA in some creep feed to stop the calves from cycling. How do you think they keep all those heifers in the feedlots from cycling?

Sizmic

Short of spaying them, I don't honestly know how heifers in a feedlot are kept from cycling - no experience with feedlots. MikeC mentioned something about a feed additive used in feedlots - I believe it was MGA - but I don't remember for sure. I'm not sure I would be comfortable feeding my pre-weaning heifers this particular additive, however, but that's probably just me. Regardless, I thank you for the information.

I dont have proof of 4 month olds breeding but I do have proof of 7 month old herfs. We even gave them lute shots ( 5 heifers) We had 1 that had her calf anyway. She calved unassisted and had a heifer calf that weighed 71-72 lbs.JHH