Is it possible for a 5 month old bull to breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching":3oo99a4z said:
Joy in Texas":3oo99a4z said:
dun":3oo99a4z said:
Beefy":3oo99a4z said:
if he can figure out how to get the lipstick out of the case hes old enough to breed.

Getting the lipstick out I don;t think would be the problem. Getting it in could be a problem

I agree with you Dun. We were out at the pasture a few days ago. I have a young cow in heat and the 5/6 month old bulls were trying awful hard to breed her. But getting the lipstick out and in wasn't happening. They were not hard. Sorry thats the only way I could say this. Limp noodle maybe, anyway those boys didn't do anything ,but loose weight. So they got moved to another pasture.

Very few heifers will cycle at that young an age.

All it takes is one or two - been there, done that! ;-) :lol:

We pulled 2 calves in June that are living proof that heifers will cycle at 5 months. Our vet tells me that hwen she was at CSU they did a study where they found that some breeds (Gelbvieh) were in estrus at 4 months of age.

From now on we will "Lute" all the heifers over 4 months. When we remove the bull.

If I were running a certain breed or genetics in my cow herd that produce cycling heifers at 7 months months of age or less.

I would re evaluate my situation ASAP. :cboy:

mnmtranching":qe0eo0y3 said:
If I were running a certain breed or genetics in my cow herd that produce cycling heifers at 7 months months of age or less.

Why??????????????

They're doing just what we want maturing early. Growing like heck.

Boy we sure don't want any more of that.

mnmtranching":b202mboh said:

Why? They handled it, delivered, and raised their babies without a hitch! True, they required a little different management than the rest of the heifers - but nothing major. What have you got against early maturing, fast growing heifers? Isn't that the name of the game? :lol: :lol:

It's all going to depend on the breeds that you're running and how early they reach puberty. We raise registered Gelbvieh and we make sure to separate the bulls and heifers at 3-4 months of age to make sure we don't get any mistakes happening. Gelbvieh have been proven through MARC data to reach puberty at an earlier age than a majority of the British cross cattle, so it's a strong likliehood that something could have gotten the urge to do some breed along the way if the DNA was correct.

I would say if you are going to keep the heifers as replacements, then by all means get them away from the bulls around 5-6 months of age. If you are just going to take them to the sale, what does it matter?

I keep 25 or so heifers a year for breeding. Wean at about 7 months. I notice the riding starts 9 - 10 months, then seems like at least 1 head daily riding. I don't know if it slows weight gain or not or feed efficiency? I suspect it does, and I know you don't want to have bulls right across the fence.

This has been a good discussion. :D

And I conclude; Male calves should not be kept with heifers.
Whether their 7 months old or 4.

Early maturing heifers are more common than I thought.

Different management is necessary with early maturing cattle.
A shorter breeding season to get the herd bulls out, or wean heifer calves at 4 months.

However I don't see an advantage in early maturing cattle?

Do you mean early "Sexual" maturing?

Try to breed some brammers to calve as two year olds and you'd appreciate them. :lol:

Some people correlate early sexual maturity as being early "Finishers" too.

I have seen evidence of it myself.

mnmtranching":3k9noq0n said:

Well, all I can say is that our 2 wayward girls were every bit as big - if not bigger - than their contemporaries, despite raising a calf at roughly 12 months of age. They went on to raise a good calf that met our requirements every year thereafter, too. If that isn't an advantage, I guess I'm definitely missing something! Sure, they require a little different management but, since bull calves can't breed at 5 month's of age, all you have to watch out for is the herd bull! ;-) :lol:

3waycross":o5wjvdgo said:
We pulled 2 calves in June that are living proof that heifers will cycle at 5 months. Our vet tells me that hwen she was at CSU they did a study where they found that some breeds (Gelbvieh) were in estrus at 4 months of age.

From now on we will "Lute" all the heifers over 4 months. When we remove the bull.
=======

3way...,

What requires you to still have the bull with them at that age?

The cows should have been bred before that time frame...and arn't you takeing a chance of physically damaging an animal thru the whole process and "Luteing".. them?

What is your program gaining from that?

preston39":35c3wjyy said:
3waycross":35c3wjyy said:

=======

3way...,

What requires you to still have the bull with them at that age?

The cows should have been bred before that time frame...and arn't you takeing a chance of physically damaging an animal thru the whole process and "Luteing".. them?

What is your program gaining from that?[/quot

If we have heifers born in march. Put the bull in with the cows on June 1st and are looking for March calves again. These heifers will be 4 to 5 mo old in July and August. What other way do you suggest.

The point I was trying to make is with early maturing heifers what else can you besides Lute the older heifers when the bull comes off the cows?

I believe it is less harmful than having a calf at 14 to 15 mo?

sizmic":xashe0si said:
put some MGA in the creep feed?

Sizmic

What is MGA, and what makes you think that creep feed is necessary to have early maturing heifers?

randiliana":32sp3305 said:
3waycross":32sp3305 said:
sizmic":32sp3305 said:
put some MGA in the creep feed?

Sizmic

We don't feed the heifers anything but hay and mineral. I also would like to know what is MGA

MGA is a feed additive that stops heifers from cycling.

http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2003 ... T255.shtml

Sounds like it would be a good product for the right application. But it doesn't do anything for us. We are dealing with heifers that are potentially already bred at 5 mo. of age. What we need is for them to not have calves. I read the article and didn't see anything about it making them sluff a fetus. Did I miss something. Also I am not sure why Lute would hurt them 7 or 8 months before they were to be bred. Isn't it also used to make cattle cycle prior to AI or am I misinformed.

Don't put words in my mouth msscamp! I was just merely stating that you could use MGA in some creep feed to stop the calves from cycling. How do you think they keep all those heifers in the feedlots from cycling?

Sizmic

sizmic":2njslg6f said:
Don't put words in my mouth msscamp! I was just merely stating that you could use MGA in some creep feed to stop the calves from cycling. How do you think they keep all those heifers in the feedlots from cycling?

Sizmic

Can you answer my question about the Lute. and the MGA?

I can not. All I know is lutalyse starts a cycle if they are capable, and MGA stops it. By starting a cycle you would abort any fetus. Most people I talk to about using lute to abort say it will not work any further than 5 months gest. After that I would say ECP, or potosin(?). An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, as some folks say.

Sizmic

Latest posts