Is it possible for a 5 month old bull to breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

mermill2":2yty83k7 said:
I have a 5 month old bull trying to breed my heifers, is it possible for him to get them bred?
anything is possable.as far as a young bull breeding heifers or cows.all he has todo is hit the mark.an be producing semen.but like i said he has tobe tall enough.

Well, it is possible for 5 month old heifers to get pregnant so it only makes sense that some young bulls could breed. As long as they are big enough to get the job done.

Extremely unlikely, not only do they have to mount, they have to be able to get it out.

Sizmic

Calves "try" to breed when they are a few weeks old. It's how they play and be the "big boy".
As they get older they can be useful as gomers, or a major hassle to the bull. They can get hurt.
They need to be tall enough and their nuts need to be at least 28cm in diameter to be fertile.

if he can figure out how to get the lipstick out of the case hes old enough to breed.

It's definately possible. I saw the result of one of those matings a few weeks ago.

Is an 8 month old bull "man" enough to handle the job if he's desperate?

TripleB":dgchs9yk said:
Is an 8 month old bull "man" enough to handle the job if he's desperate?

A slim possibility at 8 mo BUT NOT AT FIVE :roll: :roll:

I don't know if the bull can or cannot get it done at that age. I do know we have 5 month old Gelbvieh/Shorthorn heifers bullin at 5 months.

mnmtranching":nmuyzdkf said:
NO! His parts are not ready at 5 months. :roll:

Some heifers can (and do) conceive at 4 months of age, are you really that sure that bulls cannot breed at 5 months that you would recommend/suggest that someone leave their bull calves with their heifer calves? Because that is what you just did - intended or not.

msscamp":1nw6a4yz said:
mnmtranching":1nw6a4yz said:

Some heifers can (and do) conceive at 4 months of age, are you really that sure that bulls cannot breed at 5 months that you would recommend/suggest that someone leave their bull calves with their heifer calves? Because that is what you just did - intended or not.
come on you know if a calf can mount he can probly breed.an this is a 4 month old heifer your talking about.so you know he can mount her.had a cow in heat the other day.an a 6 month old bull was after her.an he tryed mounting her an almost made it.an he is good size for a 6 month old bull.

msscamp":2g64bzsm said:
mnmtranching":2g64bzsm said:

Yup OK to leave male and female calves together up to 5 months of age. Odds of having 2 calves that age [1 to breed, 1 to conceive] are approximately 1,000,000 to 1 based on 50 head, 25 each. :cboy: ;-)

mnmtranching":gcl87bac said:
msscamp":gcl87bac said:
mnmtranching":gcl87bac said:

Yup OK to leave male and female calves together up to 5 months of age. Odds of having 2 calves that age [1 to breed, 1 to conceive] are approximately 1,000,000 to 1 based on 50 head, 25 each. :cboy: ;-)

Ok.

Beefy":mm4ybcez said:
if he can figure out how to get the lipstick out of the case hes old enough to breed.

Getting the lipstick out I don;t think would be the problem. Getting it in could be a problem

dun":3jncrrt7 said:
Beefy":3jncrrt7 said:

Getting the lipstick out I don;t think would be the problem. Getting it in could be a problem

I agree with you Dun. We were out at the pasture a few days ago. I have a young cow in heat and the 5/6 month old bulls were trying awful hard to breed her. But getting the lipstick out and in wasn't happening. They were not hard. Sorry thats the only way I could say this. Limp noodle maybe, anyway those boys didn't do anything ,but loose weight. So they got moved to another pasture.

Joy in Texas":19bx46f2 said:
dun":19bx46f2 said:
Beefy":19bx46f2 said:

I agree with you Dun. We were out at the pasture a few days ago. I have a young cow in heat and the 5/6 month old bulls were trying awful hard to breed her. But getting the lipstick out and in wasn't happening. They were not hard. Sorry thats the only way I could say this. Limp noodle maybe, anyway those boys didn't do anything ,but loose weight. So they got moved to another pasture.

Yes, The hormones are working, but the parts just aren't ready yet.
Imagine the chaos :shock: Millions of heifers are weaned at 7 months or so. The vast majority are running with herd bulls up to that point. [herd bulls will not mess around]

Not a problem :roll: Very few heifers will cycle at that young an age.

Latest posts