Is It Just Me?

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama":35ccc2xd said:
Is there a aditive to replace the sulfer?

Its not the sulphur you're trying to replace. Its the lubricants that are burnt off when the sulphur is removed.

And yes, there are dozens of additives on the market. Power Service and Lubetec are two popular brands. But its probably not a lubricant thats giving you grief, but rather lower BTUs of stored energy. Try a cetane booster instead. It'll be cheaper than a standard additive.

Crowder, give it a little more time and complain to your fuel provider. Its taken PetroCanada about a year to iron out the kinks in their low sulphur diesel, and they're still not done yet. But I've seen a marked improvement from the introduction fuel to what I'm burning today. Still not up to par, power wise though.

Rod

Put some sort of sulphur replacement strategie to work though

What happens is the "O" rings break down in the main diesel pump if you don't. We have had it here for 10 years.

DiamondSCattleCo":2qx1xhrm said:
alabama":2qx1xhrm said:
Is there a aditive to replace the sulfer?

Its not the sulphur you're trying to replace. Its the lubricants that are burnt off when the sulphur is removed.

And yes, there are dozens of additives on the market. Power Service and Lubetec are two popular brands. But its probably not a lubricant thats giving you grief, but rather lower BTUs of stored energy. Try a cetane booster instead. It'll be cheaper than a standard additive.

Crowder, give it a little more time and complain to your fuel provider. Its taken PetroCanada about a year to iron out the kinks in their low sulphur diesel, and they're still not done yet. But I've seen a marked improvement from the introduction fuel to what I'm burning today. Still not up to par, power wise though.

Rod
Thanks Rod. I put a Cetane additive in a Tank yesterday, and we'll see if it helps. I have noticed the biggest difference this year when really pulling heavy loads, just dont seem to burn hot enough.

The other day I overheard a guy from JD and a cusomter that uses a bunch of older tractors talking about it. The general thought is that it's harder on older tractors, particularly seals and injector pumps.

dun":q2nyii5m said:
The other day I overheard a guy from JD and a cusomter that uses a bunch of older tractors talking about it. The general thought is that it's harder on older tractors, particularly seals and injector pumps.

great.... and what should we do about it?

I'm seeing the same thing with injector pumps around this area. Ours has leaked on the Case 585 tractor and the JD 450C dozer. I've also put 3 sets of fuel filters on the tractor in the last few months. My neighbor just had his injector pump rebuilt on his Massey a few weeks ago because it was leaking too.

In my 04 Dodge Cummins, I add 4 oz of Howe's Meaner Cleaner to each tank of fuel.

Noticed a loss of power in the husbands '84 Ford diesel.
Lost a fuel pump in a Case tractor years ago. So much dye in the fuel it varnished it up.
Yes the new fuel stinks. He treats the bulk tanks each time we fill them.
Rod unfortunately the fuel companies have to follow the laws set up by the enviromentalists. Clean air remember. Maybe they should go to China and test their air.

I luv herfrds":170fnmnr said:
Rod unfortunately the fuel companies have to follow the laws set up by the enviromentalists. Clean air remember. Maybe they should go to China and test their air.

Oh, I understand that, but whats happening when they burn the sulphur off, its also burning off some of the short-chain cetane and lubricants. So the fuel companies can change their formulations to be low-sulphur, while maintaining cetane and lubrication. But without feedback, the fuel companies aren't going to change their formulations.

I've had alot of issues around here with the new diesel pulling varnish off the old tractors. I've went through 7 sets of filters on 3 tractors. It seems to be all taken care of now.

Rod

dun":1tz8wmvf said:

I missed this one. Some (most) of the new low-sulphur diesel appears to be more acidic or have a greater detergent effect. Many of the seal failures we're seeing right now I suspect comes from aging seals being washed away. As for pump failures, I suspect the same issue we're having with filters: ie) varnish being washed out of the lines and buggering up the delivery valves.

As far as lubricity, I've seen tests on new diesel versus old, and haven't yet seen any new fuel with less lubricating ability. PetroCanada actually went way overboard on their early formulations and added too much, reducing their stored energy levels. I'm 100% certain the failures/low power people are seeing are not related to lubricity.

In other words, all the lubricity additives in the world will not prevent seal or pump failure. If its going to happen, its going to happen.

Latest posts