Is cow pregnant or not?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hello all!
I have raised and shown my FFA cow since she was 6 months old, and once she got old enough I began breeding her.
The first year I had the vet do AI and she immediately took and nine months later had a healthy bull calf out of Grizzly.
The next year I again had the vet AI her and she took right away. This time she had twin calves out of Grizzly, and raised them both to a healthy size.
Now this is her third year being bred, and I used the vet to AI her to a new bull called Alias. She did not take and went into heat the next month. I gave her a hormone shot to bring her back into heat and had the vet again come out and AI her. Again it appeared she did not take because she went into heat the next month. Now, I couldn't breed her again because it would make for a May/June calf and I didn't want it that late. I just figured we'd try a different bull this year since that was the only thing that changed.
She was last AIed in early August 2012, and I haven't paid much mind to her since then figuring she wasn't pregnant. Throughout the winter she'd act like she was in heat about every month and it was just a reminder that she wasn't bred. NOW though I noticed some changes in her udder... About two weeks ago it began to drop and I just thought it was a weird event. Then it appears like it is starting to fill slightly. I didn't say anything to my family thinking I was crazy and just "wishing" for a calf this spring. Then, my mother brought up that she thought the cow had changed in her udder and noticed when she walks that her udder is really swaying. I immediately began researching if a cow could be pregnant and still have heat cycles and some people out there say yes. I was only counting her not pregnant because she was going into heat, but if this is not a 100% indicator of pregnancy or not I'm stuck in the unknown. Now, I only have about a month to wait to find out for sure, but the unknown is killing me!
Therefore, I'm asking all of you with more experience, have you ever had a cow show multiple months of heat by bawling, trying to mount horses, and being very lovey, and yet still be pregnant?
Thank you to any help you can provide!!!

I've had a few cows that were at least 8 months bred suddenly begin attracting a bull and actually accept the bull. They never showed any real signs of heat outwardly other than the actions of the bull. Calved right on time.

Oh wow! I guess that I always just contributed heat cycles to the cow's need to be bred... but eight months pregnant and accepting a bull makes me think again!
Thank you so very much for your comment!!! I truly do appreciate the information!

I had cows that rode each other and I was about to cull them..then all of them were calving right on time. There is a good chance that she will have a calf sooner than you think.

I sure hope so!! It put me in such a hard position this year... luckily I made enough money from selling her twins to make up for thinking she wasn't pregnant this year... but this is even better luck if she is!! Thank you for the information and expertise!

Latest posts