iodine

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
i am out of iodine and was fixing to order some more. noticed you can get it in different strengths etc.. just wondering.. what do some of you use?

it will be used mostly for calf navals.

thanks

jt

jt":1mt5rclu said:
i am out of iodine and was fixing to order some more. noticed you can get it in different strengths etc.. just wondering.. what do some of you use?

it will be used mostly for calf navals.

thanks

jt

Tamed/gentle/3%, it's all the same stuff. Much stronger and it's what we used to call "liquid knife", cause it would burn (cut) out necrotic tissue or the inside of absesses

dun

There is a very gentle iodine that is 1%. There is also a product called "Novasan" (sp.?) that usually comes in about a 1 gal. jug and is diluted. The lower strength iodine solution is usually recommended for treating navel's of newborn calves and foals. Lot depends on one's sanitation in babies areas and their immune & health status.

We don't treat our newborn's with anything...they all seem to do quite well without it...just been our experience...knock on wood.

We use the gentle (1%). We also never use to treat navels until the one time we wished we had. It was bad enough to teach us to never make that mistake again. Our experience has been that a 1% iodine is enough. If you have something bad enough going on to need something stronger then you are probably needing more treatment than just iodine.

As we have never treated navels, I was wondering why such a procedure is required by some herds? Farmhand you said you changed your process because of a bad experience - could you elaborate? Are there situations that are obvious for navel treatment? Is it related to a particular breed of cattle?

I use the 1%, when I run out and in need, I use Betadine. Momma usually licks the stuff off, but I do it anyhow. I saw at a friend's place, a nasty infection which began in the navel and worked its way into the bloodstream, very sick calf, not a pretty sight.

Katherine

Iodine will stop navel infection. We calve in Jan-Feb in a barn. As Medic24 said that is where the issue is. Those babies hunker down for the cold and don't pick where they lay too well so run a higher risk for navel infection. The June calves and the Aug-Sep calves are born on open pasture. Those we iodine only if we have to catch them up for something else or the weather is wet when they are born. Our problem was we had one born on open pasture that wasn't nursing the back quarters so we moved them into a barn to make it handy to work with them. Had hogs in there before and the little guy got navel infection even though the barn had been cleaned. The navel swells first and then it spreads to all the area underneath and is very painful no matter what. Ended up having to antibiotic and then sprayed iodine 2x a day until it cleared up. If left untreated it eventually deforms their joints and they can't walk. Mother bought one at a sale thinking she could save it (she felt sorry for it) but it was too far gone. Ended up having to put it down.

Howdy,

We have always used Strong Ticture of Iodine here. I use it in a 2 cup rubbermaid jug (jar) thing and simply bring the jar up under the calf dropping the cord in it, and there done. Fall calving September-October here. Wether the weather is wet or dry, clean pasture or not. Its a simple enough solution to do and not have problems. I move them into a clean pasture for birthing, and then after the calf is out, dam and calf get moved into the next field. Easier to see when a new on is out there.

If you do end up with navel infection, Nuflor works wonders treating it.

Beats the heck out of any other antibiotic we've used.

Yes, you can use LA, Biomycin, etc. But we heard a rumour about the effectiveness of Nuflor to treat navel infection and joint ill about a year or so ago.

Gave it a try and were amazed at how much faster the calves responded to it. And most only needed the one dose, unlike the other drugs.

Okay, off the Nuflor soap-box now.

Take care.

CattleAnnie":20k2smvf said:
If you do end up with navel infection, Nuflor works wonders treating it.

Beats the heck out of any other antibiotic we've used.

Yes, you can use LA, Biomycin, etc. But we heard a rumour about the effectiveness of Nuflor to treat navel infection and joint ill about a year or so ago.

Gave it a try and were amazed at how much faster the calves responded to it. And most only needed the one dose, unlike the other drugs.

Okay, off the Nuflor soap-box now.

Take care.

i had one with a problem a few months back... posted about it on these boards and v the v helped alot.. he got over it ok. gave him penicillin for the infection.

and to follow up on the iodine ?... i called to order some and the 1% was not the recommendation, but was told to use the 7% and dip it.

makes me curious, what is the differnce in dipping and spraying the navel if you spray it real well?

jt

I have used an iodine paste on horses naval. I think if your cattle are out in the open pasture they will probly be allright. Betedine if used in an open wound can cause an infection. I get this from my brother, a doctor. He says if the open wound is filled and not flushed out the Betedien loses its effectiveness and then can be a host of bacteria. Especially if it is used when packing a wound with a dressing.

Scotty

Scotty":1vvdl30r said:
I have used an iodine paste on horses naval. I think if your cattle are out in the open pasture they will probly be allright. Betedine if used in an open wound can cause an infection. I get this from my brother, a doctor. He says if the open wound is filled and not flushed out the Betedien loses its effectiveness and then can be a host of bacteria. Especially if it is used when packing a wound with a dressing.

Scotty

yep... i agree... and most of my calves do not get it.. but every now and then there are times when i think i should... like what some of the others have said... muddy, wet, etc..

jt

Like a thread that was written a few weeks ago. Sometimes it just doesn't pay to get out of bed.

Scotty

We have always used the 1% and never had a problem. Don't know if using to prevent a problem rather than using to treat an existing problem is the difference between needing something stronger or not. We spray ours just because it seems easier to us but we do spray until about the point of runoff so maybe we are getting the same amount on as dipping would.

Farmhand":hoy0yvb9 said:
We have always used the 1% and never had a problem. Don't know if using to prevent a problem rather than using to treat an existing problem is the difference between needing something stronger or not. We spray ours just because it seems easier to us but we do spray until about the point of runoff so maybe we are getting the same amount on as dipping would.

i have always sprayed too, much easier, and i cant see why it wouldnt be just as effective... i wet em down purty good.

jt

In theory, immursing the cord allows the stuff to get inside so that it forms a disinfectant barrier.
Some we dip, if we get a chance, some we don;t. A couple of years ago we only dipped one and she got scepticemia, but that was from a cow that had prolapsed and was sewed up for two months before calving so she may have gotten the infection that way.

I talked to the vet about the dipping deal a couple of years ago and he had just finished reading a study in some journal. The claim was that there was only a fraction of a percentage difference between the dipped herds and the undipped herds. The determination was that the difference was probably more attributed to sanitation and attendance of someone at the calving.

dun

Latest posts