Iodine defiency?

Help Support CattleToday:

Idaman

Reaction score
Have a donor heifer that was continually having something go wrong with her. First phuemonia next founder(?) next footrot, and finally lump jaw. For the lump we gave her a bottle of Sodiumiodide IV. Cleared everything up and she is better than she has been for 6 mos.

Could she have had a cronic and acute iodine deficiency? :???: She was on Iodized salt but that amount is so small as to be almost worthless.

For the other maladies she had Resflour for phneumonia and La 300 for the footrot and as an infection prevented for the lump jaw.

You could be in an iodine defficient area. I know we are and supplement extra iodine in the mineral. Once we upped the iodine the foot rot and lumpy jaw cases hit the road. Need to watch the cows for signs they are getting enough and withdraw the supplement for a bit.

See if your feed store has a powdered iodine supplement. Should say "EDDI". It won't be very concentrated but mixed into the mineral it will help. If they don't have it and there is a feed mill anywhere close check with them and see if they will sell you some of what they use. It will be much more concentrated and you won't need that much (79.5%). The iodine salt blocks don't give them much of a boost but certainl won't hurt anything. If you're at the feedmills see if they will also sell you some Zinpro 100 to add to the mineral. Won't cure anything but in the long run will impove hoof health.

This is the only individual with these problems on these pastures. She has been on different pastures on different ranches 40 miles apart and came down with these conditions on each one. That's what makes me suspect something within just her.

We have organic iodide on hand to mix in if these things appear but it wasn't put out as nothing was showing any FR or LJ.

Thanks for the Zinpro tip we will use some on her. We have also been feeding kelp but even that doesn't seem to have enough iodine for her.

We use a salt block with EDDI(Cargill I believe) and other minerals. Plus a medicated loose mineral when they are in the wettest pasture. That along with vaccinating them for footrot seemed to stop it in it's tracks last summer.

Didn't realize there was a vaccine for footrot. We have supplemented organic iodine when needed for 40 years but the combination of footrot and lumpy jaw in the same lone animal led me to suspect iodine deficiency.

I have only had the female for 7 months and I don't know what her mineral program was before I got her but I suspect from her condition and the condition of the others that came here with her it was non-existent or very poor. I may post some contrast pictures of these cattle sometime. It is hard to believe the transformation in 7 months.

Zinc and copper are important to foot health. I don't know if they would be a factor in lump jaw though. If the Zn:Cu is out of wack that could make for issues too as they would tie up some minerals.

Idaman":35rwo7im said:
This is the only individual with these problems on these pastures. She has been on different pastures on different ranches 40 miles apart and came down with these conditions on each one. That's what makes me suspect something within just her.

We have organic iodide on hand to mix in if these things appear but it wasn't put out as nothing was showing any FR or LJ.

Thanks for the Zinpro tip we will use some on her. We have also been feeding kelp but even that doesn't seem to have enough iodine for her.
Don't waste your hard earned money on kelp meal or "Tasco" . She'd ahve to eat a bag of the stuff everyday to even know it had iodine in it.

That has also been my experience. I already ordered the Zinpro and we mixed in organic iodine with another area formulated mineral yesterday.

We'll see what happens. We will also incorporate the Zinpro when it arrives.

Hey TB, would adding Zinpro make for issues with copper getting tied up, assuming he is using an inorganic form of copper? I use Zinpro but I also have a chelated version of copper. I have been told that zinc and copper should be fed at a ratio of 3:1 so that is why I ask since the zinc should be more available and even if it looks like 3:1 on paper it may actually be a wider ratio. Just curious what your thoughts are.

Idaman":31k2ke4l said:

You answered the question - - she is a problem.

As much as we all love mixing mineral and fixing problems why would you retain these genetics?

Burger time. :cboy:

SS She had a very difficult life before I got her and I have completely changed her environment. She is also the last living individual of that bloodline so I feel bound to carry her genetics at least into the next generation to see if it is environment or genetics. If I cull her then that is the entire end of a very long and strong line.

novaman":20u441rw said:
Hey TB, would adding Zinpro make for issues with copper getting tied up, assuming he is using an inorganic form of copper? I use Zinpro but I also have a chelated version of copper. I have been told that zinc and copper should be fed at a ratio of 3:1 so that is why I ask since the zinc should be more available and even if it looks like 3:1 on paper it may actually be a wider ratio. Just curious what your thoughts are.
There is always the possibility but copper if more soluble and absorbed much more rapidly than zinc. The primary antagonist to copper absorption is excessive iron. A lot of minerals are formulated with Zn:Cu ratio at almost a 1:1 ratio so it normally is not a big concern. You're probably using Cuplex in your feeds are a knock off of it. Copper sulfate still works well but probably works better when applied directly to the foot rot and wrapped with vet wrap. ;-)

Latest posts