organic iodine

Help Support CattleToday:

A&Mfarms

Reaction score
I am just starting to feed organic iodine in with the loose minerals. Our bull came down with foot rot and have been told that would be the best preventative medicine. I was told to use 1 1lb. bag of iodine to 100lbs. of mineral. Is this enough? If I use more can this also cause problems? Thanks for the help.

Have you looked into using Kelp? I think kelp may work as well. Give it to them free choice,let them decide how much they need. They may eat quite a bit the first few days or so. you may want to cure the foot rot, using the kelp as a preventative.

I don't know anything about kelp. Sorry if it should be common knowledge, but I will look into it. The link was also helpful. Thanks again.

There is a lot more information on organic copper, manganese, zinc, selenium, cobalt than on iodine. Kelp is being used more as Tasco (one brand name) is being advertised widely. Kelp will carry more iodine. I usually see higher levels of zinc fed to assist with footrot prevention and sometimes having CTC added.