What kind of iodine...??

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
What kind of iodine do you use on the navels of newborns? Getting ready to buy some and see different products...triodine, betadine, providone, etc. Always thought 7% iodine was the way to go. Don't know the difference between these products.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Read the labels (back of bottle!). If I remember right, betadine is dilute povidone, which is just a certain strength of iodine. Most any bottle you can find is 1-3% iodine; I'm not sure I've ever seen a bottle of 7%.

I would read the label but was going to mail-order. Ok, if 7% is not available, what % is enough?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

7% iodine isn't generally available anymore. It is now under DEA regulation because they use the crystals to make meth. The 7% worked well but I used to see some bad burns if it contacted the skin too much.

The difference with the other iodines is strength. Don't use "tamed" iodines (likein skin scrubs) because it no longer dries the navel. The only researched alternative I have found is 0.5% chlorhexidine solution; they tested it on foals and found it to be just as effective as the 7% iodine without risking the burns.

A good article that explains this in more detail: http://www.cattlenetwork.com/content.as ... tid=188687

"Living Without 7% Iodine" Source: William Shulaw, DVM, Extension Veterinarian, The Ohio State University

Farmgirl":2tz2p4hp said:
What kind of iodine do you use on the navels of newborns? Getting ready to buy some and see different products...triodine, betadine, providone, etc. Always thought 7% iodine was the way to go. Don't know the difference between these products.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

My vet told me that some folks just use a mixture of bleach and water to spray on the newborn's naval.

farm stores around here have gone back to stocking 7% iodine. I saw some on the shelf just last week.

I have been buying mine from Jeffers livestock for quite a while.

pdfangus":g1j6qnk2 said:
farm stores around here have gone back to stocking 7% iodine. I saw some on the shelf just last week.

I have been buying mine from Jeffers livestock for quite a while.

I saw some 7% in the feed store again the other day. They had quit handling it. Seems the local meth lab operators used it someway or another in production.

Not when you consider what the purple stuff costs.
We use it for everything and lasts for 2 seasons of calving. Cheaper than buying the 500ml bottle.
-navel dip
-scrubbing the back end of the cow when we need to pull a calf...solution of water and betadine
-putting vet tools in when treating the herd..solution of water and betadine
-weak tea like solution for cuts and wounds...works like a charm

Our vet does not have a large mark up on this cause she wants farmers to use it.