Iodine

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I had a cow with a limp and another with a lump on her face under her eye about were her top teeth are.
From past experience feeding cotton burrs I've always used iodized salt.
My local feed store doesn't keep it but he has a trace mineral block that has 70ppm iodine vs 100ppm on iodized salt.
They never touched the trace mineral block.
I also have cattleman blend loose mineral that has 120 ppm iodine, but they didn't touch it.
I went and bought iodized salt and they have been hammering it.
I bought a molasses tub and sprinkle the tub everyday with a heavy layer of the mineral forcing them to eat it before getting to the sweet stuff.
The lump on the jaw is gone.
The cow with a limp I put in the chute and cleaned it up but nothing between her toes and doctored with oxcytetracycaline SQ, she showed no improvement but I've noticed her at the tub/mineral several times and she's improving.

I'm pretty much convinced it's the iodine making the difference

I've used it in the past regularly...till our farm supply stores quit stocking it....because of the meth cookers...sad,you suffer...because of idiots... Guess I'll order some,figured I'd have to get it black market like antibiotics...without having to jump through hoops....

ALACOWMAN":32vqpuo7 said:
I've used it in the past regularly...till our farm supply stores quit stocking it....because of the meth cookers...sad,you suffer...because of idiots... Guess I'll order some,figured I'd have to get it black market like antibiotics...without having to jump through hoops....
For a long time our feed store would not even keep the liquid 7% iodine on the shelf. The meth cookers would buy it all as quickly as they stocked it. Keeps it under the counter now. If you have a feed company in the neighborhood see if they will sell you EDDI. It's a powdered iodine but will be in a stronger concentration from about 9% up to almost 80%. Really not that expensive either.

Redmond has a Natural Salt that is 10ppm in Iodine. When I was younger we bought ionized salt in 25lb bags but seems nobody gets it here that way now.

Bad stuff happens when iodine is lacking. Wish I had the picture to share of neighbor's calf born this spring with enormous goiter. Bigger than calf's head and so heavy it couldn't lift head off ground. Vet took blood work and diagnosed cow with severe iodine deficiency, which affected the calf in utero.

I'd always kept the EDDI salt out because I'd been told it helped prevent foot rot. I got to thinking that I didn't need it because I never had trouble with foot rot, so I started putting out plain white salt. Guess what? Three cows came down with foot rot. I'm back to the EDDI salt.

Rafter S":18fmxuzv said:
I'd always kept the EDDI salt out because I'd been told it helped prevent foot rot. I got to thinking that I didn't need it because I never had trouble with foot rot, so I started putting out plain white salt. Guess what? Three cows came down with foot rot. I'm back to the EDDI salt.
:lol: Sounds like something I'd do Rafter.

TexasBred":1ht7gsqi said:
Rafter S":1ht7gsqi said:
:lol: Sounds like something I'd do Rafter.

There's one thing I can say for that kind of lesson. You tend to remember them so you don't need a second application.

Latest posts