iodine and footrot

Help Support CattleToday:

milkmaid

Reaction score
I've seen mention of a link between the two (deficiency of iodine makes cattle more prone to footrot) -- can anyone give me a link proving this? I ran a quick search on the boards and I'm not seeing any links or articles.

Thanks-

I haven't heard that, however I was reading a Pat Coleby book which said that protein levels that are too high will cause foot problems along with fertlity /pregnancy issues as well as a few more problems. I have also been told that feeding cattle idione is a natural way of worming.

milkmaid":2fymt4kp said:
I've seen mention of a link between the two (deficiency of iodine makes cattle more prone to footrot) -- can anyone give me a link proving this? I ran a quick search on the boards and I'm not seeing any links or articles.

Thanks-

Zinc deficiency will also cause a higher incidence of footrot (actually more interdigital dermatitis resulting in footrot)

Not sure if you wanted a link to a research paper or just a link that lists the various deficiencies and their clinical symptoms, but here is the latter.

http://www.bovineengineering.com/mineral.html

Lots of recommendations to increase iodine and/or zinc in the previous boards. I used to have a lot of foot problems (only about 1% per year now) so I have did some research in the past. This is what I have in my file:

1) Rumun ph (feed) is a root cause (Stockman Grass Farmer, page 10, 12/2007), I have been able to feed my way out of certain health problems so I agree with feed being the major factor for certain classes of cattle. I have seen stressed cattle that are not fed right come down with a lot of foot rot or pink eye problems.
2) Zinc reduced incident from 5.38% to 2.45% (Stocker Facts, page 4, KSU study) CTC benefits were quoted in the same article. I have seem similar numbers for iodine but I do not have a reference. I add organic iodine to medium priced mineral w/o CTC.
3) Foot rot vaccine, I did not want to go there but it is available.
4) Better footing, about half of the cases I see now have had an obvious pasture injury.

I think we're discussing two potential problems....plain old footrot and laminitis. Laminitis is most often caused by poor feeding practices, with far too much rapidly fermentable carbohydrates included in the ration and not enough long stem roughage supplemented. This effects rumen ph causing accidosis often resulting in laminitis which can literally cripple a good cow. The feeding of excess protein can also be a culprit but usually is not a large factor as long as fiber intake is sufficient and starches not feed excessively.

Footrot on the other hand is more environmental than anything caused by bacteria which gets started and then imbedded in the soil. Cuts, bruises and other minor wounds allow the invasion by bacteria and infection sets in. Wet weather, low lying bottom land ground that often is wet or moist and any other source of wet bacteria infested areas increae the potential for foot rot. Increased organic iodine in feed and mineral as well as chelated zinc are two products used for long term hoof improvement lessening the chances of problems. (check your tag). As with laminitis, foot rot can not only cause pain but can move up into the joints and end up causing arthritis.

I've got a young man that comes by twice a year with a foot trimming table and checks the feet of all our cattle, trims toes, and examines for footrot and abscesses. If there is a case of footrot he will cut out the infected area, apply a dry antibiotic powder along with some "secret mix" he keeps and apply vet wrap. Cows normally will no longer even have a limp after 3-4 days.

Extreme dry conditions can also cause footrot problems.
We have Iodine added to our mineral mix for preventative measures for footrot & pinkeye.
Don't know of any articles, although I know I have printed some in my newsletters.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ii8yjvw said:
We have Iodine added to our mineral mix for preventative measures for footrot & pinkeye.
Don't know of any articles, although I know I have printed some in my newsletters.

True.....and the elevated iodine is a small expense if you only keep one cow from having footrot you'll recoup your money many times over. Good move...... :clap: :clap:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2ad78jcu said:

We use Super Iodide and add it to our minerals. As a result, our incidence of footrot is much lower than other neighbouring herds around us, in a ratio I estimate of about 1:4. It comes in a small foil package that costs $6.00 and is good for about 400 lbs of minerals. :cowboy:

i had a nieghbor who had alot of foot rot problems, last winter i bought his cows and rented his place. the vet told me that the biggest problem is they have weak foot walls from being mineral deficient, that i needed to build up the hoof strength. i put them on a good loose mineral and i limed the corral and loafing shed. they have stopped limping and i have had no more problems. i know we preach mineral program but it really works, just like regular vaccinations it seems expensive, the over all health program will save you in the long run.

Latest posts