Investing in Jersey nurse cow

Help Support CattleToday:

KYBrown

Reaction score
Here's a question I'd like opinions on... I just found a very good looking Jersey nurse cow on craigslist, calved 4 days ago, in next County over, priced at $1100. Seller says they've used her for 2 years for nursing calves, and her udder looks top quality. If the cow has any faults I can't see any from the pics provided. The reason I'd like to consider her is because I'm currently bottle raising 2 calves (holstein & a twin angus), powdered milk is $80/50 lb bag now, and I'd never have to buy bagged milk again. Does this sound justifiable to any of you? Thanks!

KYBrown

I can guess that at $1100 you could get just about any good Jersey cow... and if that is what you want check her out, bonus is that she's already a nurse cow so you don't have to wonder if she'll take orphan calves or not.

What I'm thinking is that a lot of dairy cows have faults that make them unsuitable for dairying but perfectly good as a nurse cow, and can be bought for their meat value or just above. In this country that would be $350 - 400 against $1000 - 1500 for a good one. Not having recorded ancestry also halves their value in this area.

well at my locl salebarn thursday i saw cull holsteins seeling for .70 and up to .83. most weighed at least 1,300 lbs. black cull cattle were up to .95. i sold one cull and she brought .84 and weighed 1,380.her 85 lb baby sold for $330 and it wasnt even black.

Latest posts