Inducing Labor

Help Support CattleToday:

Whew. Another bull calf, 80# he looks good and momma is cleaning him up so now all he needs to do is jump up and get some breakfast.
Need to get some rest before I go over to my brothers to tend my cow and calf over there this morning. Where the heck did Saturday go????
Thanks for everyones good thoughts!!

Sooo. Are you sick of hearing from me on this thread yet??
Update: Went out to check on the little guy after an hour and fill up mom's water and add straw and thought gosh that is alot of blood and what the heck is that sticking out of her??? Sleep deprivation must be making my eyes do funny stuff, but it sure looks like a foot. Hum I watch her and she starts pushing and out popped another foot, good grief she is having another one!!! So, call the vet back out as by this time she is exhausted and this thing has been going on a very long time since last night around 8. Yup, twins. Unfortunately it is a heifer 94#. No wonder she has been so miserable. Is there ever a time when the heifer twin is fertile???
Vet said it is unusual for a heifer to have twins and also unusual that the bull is smaller than the heifer. Time will tell I guess. Hope she mothers them both.
So the bull she is bred to is named Snickers, seems like these guys should be Almond Joy and Mounds. You know sometimes you feel like a nut and sometimes you don't. Yes I think I am punchy. Need a nap but off I go to brothers farm to milk my cow and take care of her bull that was born Friday.

A small percentage of the time the heifer is fertile. There are severla tests that can be performed ranging from visual in the most severe freemartins to a blood test in the slightest instances.

You have to be exhausted as well....how many emotions can you go through in a day... ?!!!!
TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She had to be HUGE!!!!! I'm sorry about the free martin thing but maybe you'll get lucky....
Best wishes... you're going to be a busy gal watchin all those sweet babies!

Did you see afterbirth from the first calf, the second? With that much time interval between them I would be tempted to think they may not twinss that would cause a freemartin. If I wanted to keep the heifer I would wait a month and get the blood test done just to make sure one way or the other.

dun":2sk4cn6e said:
Did you see afterbirth from the first calf, the second? With that much time interval between them I would be tempted to think they may not twinss that would cause a freemartin. If I wanted to keep the heifer I would wait a month and get the blood test done just to make sure one way or the other.

Dun, can you explain?

We had a free martin calf as well. The neighbors cow had twins and abandoned the heifer, he didn't want to mess with her so I bought her, named her Lilac. I loved her to pieces, and she became the biggest baby in the pasture. Would go out and scratch her neck and belly. Anyhow, she turned out to be infertile so we ate her.

KNERSIE":132v1uxs said:
dun":132v1uxs said:

Dun, can you explain?

In theory, with seperate placentas, i.e. afterbirth, there isn;t a mixing of the hormones.

dun":1zrbs42c said:
KNERSIE":1zrbs42c said:
dun":1zrbs42c said:

Dun, can you explain?

In theory, with seperate placentas, i.e. afterbirth, there isn;t a mixing of the hormones.

The way I understood only identical twins will share a placenta. (one fertilized egg that splitts for some reason and the two foetusses develope in the same placenta)

In the case of a bull and a heifer its never identical twins, obviously and never the same placenta anyway. Where is Vicky the Vet when we need her?

Could be an OWT. That's what I was told to look for, but that was 40 plus years ago. We see so few twins, select against twinning, that I haven;t been in attendance at many twin births.

The heifer is taking care of both babies and I think there were two placentas. They have both been up and nursing and getting around good. I will hope for the best on the heifer not being a freemartin but I am not overly optimistic. This sure explains why the cow is in the condition she is. She has really lost condition and looks like heck but she has lots of milk. I have been really concerned about her as she was huge. Will need to give her lots of TLC to keep her milk production up and get some condition back.
Her sister that calved Friday with the bull with contracted tendons is at least sucking, thank the good Lord for my brother and his Sioux system calving pen. Got him sucking yesterday and we are hoping he will be able to stand soon.
Gotta get busy and get over to brothers to get the little guy fed.

Latest posts