LOOOONG Labor

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
Have a 5 yr old cow that had a water bubble visible yesterday about 9am when I fed that group. Happened to drive by about 2pm and same thing. Got horse saddled and pushed her up to the chute. Checked her, and calf is presenting correctly. Cow hadn't dilated much at all if any at this point. Decided to call vet. He suggested to wait thru the night and see where she was this morning. As he suggested I gave her a dose of Dex to help her along this morning about 11am. just checked her at 8:00pm (35hrs after initially saw her with the bubble), she's in active labor pacing around twitching her tail etc. She has also dilated pretty well. Hope we have a live calf tomorrow morning, but we will see.

When you say "water bubble", do you mean gushing, or her coochie is drooling a little bit? Most of em may be that way for a couple of days, just getting ready to do what they do.

Boy that seems like a long time for an impatient feller like me. Last time I had one like that I fiddled with it, couldn't get the calf to come, figured it was a c-section for sure, and because I quit doing those myself I sent her to town with my wife. Wife got to the vet and her and the little female doctor pulled the calf by hand. That was a bit of a lesson for me in patience.

When I checked her the calf was still alive and her sack was still intact. Yes she's dripping, oozing etc but has a balloon of fluid hanging out. Never had one take this long, but vet said it could be because of twins or just the cow. Said if no calf In the morning, check calf again and pull calf. She's progressed a bunch today so trying to be patient.

slick4591 said:
I took it the water sac was hanging that long. I'd be elbows deep hookin' up if that were the case.

I've rushed in too soon at times in the past and caused issues. Trying to be patient.

Silver said:
Boy that seems like a long time for an impatient feller like me. Last time I had one like that I fiddled with it, couldn't get the calf to come, figured it was a c-section for sure, and because I quit doing those myself I sent her to town with my wife. Wife got to the vet and her and the little female doctor pulled the calf by hand. That was a bit of a lesson for me in patience.

Just came up to the pens to check on that cow she had about a 90 lb heifer calf overnight looks good and healthy.

I recently bought three bred angus cows and they were bred to calving ease bulls the first and second cow calved no problem they were up quick and doing good. A week goes by and the other cow hasn't had hers yet so I checked her in the chute and everything seemed fine 2 days later complete prolapse with dead twins.

Statefan62 said:
I recently bought three bred angus cows and they were bred to calving ease bulls the first and second cow calved no problem they were up quick and doing good. A week goes by and the other cow hasn't had hers yet so I checked her in the chute and everything seemed fine 2 days later complete prolapse with dead twins.
[/quote

I'm real sorry to hear that. I was worried about this one prolapsing because she wasn't dilating and when I check the calf it was darn sure close to where it was about to come on without her being dilated. I really think that dose of Dex that I gave her helped her along but I sure hate a 2 1/2 day labor. Again I'm real sorry about your calves

Latest posts