Cow in labor for days!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jordanfamily

Reaction score
My cow has had a white yellowish string coming out for days and yesterday had tons of it come out. I suspect that this is the mucus plug. She has had two normal births in the past and is 4 years old. Her water has not broken yet. She has been having contractions on and off for days. She walks very slowly and almost like she has a limp. a few days ago i gloved up and went in to see if i could fill anything in the cervix. i felt a bony structure pressing on her hip and pushed it back in farther and then she walked fine for a few hours. then went back to limping again. now she walks like that off and on. She will lay down roll from side to side and give a deep breath every couple of minutes. Then after a few hours gets up and goes to eat like nothing is wrong. Then a few hours later lays down and starts over again. I have had the vet out twice and he just says her cervix is not dilated yet so there is nothing he can do until it is. I'm worried the calf is not in the right position to stimulate the cervix to dilate. She is huge and has been springing for days. Late at night when she is having her contractions I can open her. Vulva and see a white round mass that seems to have tiny veins all over it. I think that is just the cervix I am seeing bulging... Any ideas guys????

Thanks everyone. She had her Calf. Went outside after an hour and saw to front feet still in her. So she was breech but had her within a hour of me checking on her... K

Someone once said the quickest way to have a calf is quit watching the cow. I don't mean to be rude when I say that but if you have had the vet out, which is the right thing to do, and the doc said there is not a problem then just keep an eye on her and let nature do its thing. One thing I would say is quit looking up her skirt.

I have had cows string for a few weeks and had no issues. The limp could be a calf laying on a nerve in the hips. It happens sometimes; it has happened to us and is distressing to see but not uncommon.

Is this a bull service or an AI? do you have a projected due date? Everything your describing sounds normal to me. Is her tail up? Is it up and kind kinked to one side? That is another sign of eminent labor. I am not a vet I am just sharing my opinion as a cattleman.

Well I was just answered when I walked outside and saw momma and a big girl calf... She came out feet first but slid out by herself quick, no help needed... Thanks for your advice guys. K

Jordanfamily":3p9bhwo4 said:
My cow has had a white yellowish string coming out for days and yesterday had tons of it come out. I suspect that this is the mucus plug. She has had two normal births in the past and is 4 years old. Her water has not broken yet. She has been having contractions on and off for days. She walks very slowly and almost like she has a limp. a few days ago i gloved up and went in to see if i could fill anything in the cervix. i felt a bony structure pressing on her hip and pushed it back in farther and then she walked fine for a few hours. then went back to limping again. now she walks like that off and on. She will lay down roll from side to side and give a deep breath every couple of minutes. Then after a few hours gets up and goes to eat like nothing is wrong. Then a few hours later lays down and starts over again. I have had the vet out twice and he just says her cervix is not dilated yet so there is nothing he can do until it is. I'm worried the calf is not in the right position to stimulate the cervix to dilate. She is huge and has been springing for days. Late at night when she is having her contractions I can open her. Vulva and see a white round mass that seems to have tiny veins all over it. I think that is just the cervix I am seeing bulging... Any ideas guys????

Thanks everyone. She had her Calf. Went outside after an hour and saw to front feet still in her. So she was breech but had her within a hour of me checking on her... K

Am glad for you and glad that I was wrong :D , the fact that you said she was having "contractions for days and you could see a white mass with veins all over it' lead me to believe it was a malpresentation.
Bar R was right, sometimes we have to quit watching them too closely. When you have been through this a couple of times you will quickly get to know the signs of a normal delivery vs a malpresentation. They always keep us guessing though.
Enjoy the baby.

Latest posts