Hard Labor or Something Else?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Had a 5 year old cow calve today. Hubby put her in the barn at around 9am. I checked her at 11am, nothing. Water had broke though. Checked at 1pm and she just had one foot out.
Left her for another hour and found that she had a nice little heifer.
Now several things caught my eye and my gut instinct was something was not right. We are keeping her and her calf in for the next few days just to keep an eye on her.

1. She was just laying there next to the calf. She had cleaned her off some but was not showing her normal interest in the calf. That was odd for her.
2. She was breathing a bit funny. Not a normal panting but more like a sudden hard breath.
3. Still humped up even a few hours later. She has started cleaning though.
4. Just seems off to me.

Thinking of checking her tonight some more and if I still have this gut instinct I plan to call the vet out to check her over just to be sure nothing is wrong.

No second calf.

She cleaned but did not eat the afterbirth. I checked it and saw a couple areas that looked like the serum our vet removed from the cow last year that had the twisted uterus.
She is still in the barn. Hubby hit her with some penisilon today. He is also concerned about her breathing too.

Just going to watch her and see how she does.

Latest posts