Heifer in labor

Help Support CattleToday:

No harm in checking them early. You just have to resist the urge to pull the calf too soon. If everything is normal and she hasn't been at it too long, better to let her out of the chute to dilate and calve on her own.

Most of my "assists" get checked early if I'm suspicious (because I've learnt the "too late" lesson) and if the calf is presenting properly, or even if I've had to bring it up/round/into the right position, if there's no reason to pull it (like a backwards one), I let her out into a small yard and let her get on with it herself. It's always a hard pull if the cervix hasn't had time to dilate properly and I'd rather give a bit of extra help when she's down and pushing, than pull in the race, if I can. Most of my cows are quiet enough to get in behind and help when they're lying, calving.

Occasionally we've had to get one back in, especially in the monster-calf year, when we had to pull five of 40 because they were too big.

A breach will usually have been going for longer than you think as the head is not there to engage the sensors in the pelvis to stimulate the strong contractions.

Ken

Putangitangi said:
Most of my "assists" get checked early if I'm suspicious (because I've learnt the "too late" lesson) and if the calf is presenting properly, or even if I've had to bring it up/round/into the right position, if there's no reason to pull it (like a backwards one), I let her out into a small yard and let her get on with it herself. It's always a hard pull if the cervix hasn't had time to dilate properly and I'd rather give a bit of extra help when she's down and pushing, than pull in the race, if I can. Most of my cows are quiet enough to get in behind and help when they're lying, calving.

Occasionally we've had to get one back in, especially in the monster-calf year, when we had to pull five of 40 because they were too big.

Yes, when in doubt, do a check. Most times those checks are money makers.

Latest posts