Inducing Labor

Help Support CattleToday:

Never done it, but have never been in a situation where I would consider it either.

How far past due is your cow? Why are you considering inducing? Need a little more info.

I assume we are talking about cows. My wife had to be induced with our daughter and that went OK.

She (cow) was due March 27, yesterday was a week over. Her bag is full, whistle is sloppy as heck, she has been stringing for about three weeks. I am concerned about that calf in there gaining a bunch of weight, do they say 2 pounds a day gain??
I am nervous. This has been a rough calving so far for my two mentors, don't know what the heck is going on up here but several breeders (different breeds) have been having unusually big calves. She is my first to come due, just trying to consider all options. That one was thrown out to me yesterday.

CKC1586":2uvcdgxo said:
She (cow) was due March 27, yesterday was a week over. Her bag is full, whistle is sloppy as heck, she has been stringing for about three weeks. I am concerned about that calf in there gaining a bunch of weight, do they say 2 pounds a day gain??
I am nervous. This has been a rough calving so far for my two mentors, don't know what the heck is going on up here but several breeders (different breeds) have been having unusually big calves. She is my first to come due, just trying to consider all options. That one was thrown out to me yesterday.

I don't know if there is a specific amount of weight a calf will gain per day while in the womb, but the most growth does occur in the last trimester, and especially the last 6 weeks or so. As it has been said before on here, environment, nutrition, genetics, etc all play a rold in determining calf size.

With her only being a week, I don't think I would do anything just yet. I would just keep a close eye on her. She might be calving right now!! You might consult your vet on this. He/she is going to have more expert advice than I am. I couldn't get into vet school. I had a couple cows calve 5 and 7 days past their AI due date this year, and the calves weren't monsters, rather normal sized.

I guess I am just worried about all the trouble folks have been having. Brother was at the feed store and was talking to two breeders one Angus and one has black baldies and they have both been experiencing difficulty and said this year they have had the biggest calves they ever have had. Said they have heard more of the same from their neighbors. This is bizzare!
My brother has lost three so far, big ones (embryos) that didn't make it from cows that have never had a problem before. My other mentor lost a big bull calf due to hip lock and this was from a heifer bull that has never had a calf that size. (Four seasons of breeding). I have my heifer bred to him and she is due in two weeks.
This is my first year that I am doing this at my own place on my own. (Of course I have brother and mentor and vet on speed dial.) The vet will be the first call I make if she has trouble but I am thinking if she hasn't had that calf by Monday (ten days over) that I will ask the vet if he thinks we need to induce.
I was wondering if anyone else here had done it.
I should probably quit reading the calving thread..... :?

CKC1586":3r1mi780 said:
I guess I am just worried about all the trouble folks have been having. Brother was at the feed store and was talking to two breeders one Angus and one has black baldies and they have both been experiencing difficulty and said this year they have had the biggest calves they ever have had. Said they have heard more of the same from their neighbors. This is bizzare!
My brother has lost three so far, big ones (embryos) that didn't make it from cows that have never had a problem before. My other mentor lost a big bull calf due to hip lock and this was from a heifer bull that has never had a calf that size. (Four seasons of breeding). I have my heifer bred to him and she is due in two weeks.
This is my first year that I am doing this at my own place on my own. (Of course I have brother and mentor and vet on speed dial.) The vet will be the first call I make if she has trouble but I am thinking if she hasn't had that calf by Monday (ten days over) that I will ask the vet if he thinks we need to induce.
I was wondering if anyone else here had done it.
I should probably quit reading the calving thread..... :?

It is concerning when you read where others are having problems, especially those around you. I'd say you have a good plan if nothing happens by Monday. Just be sure to watch her close. After the water bag breaks, if she doesn't have a calf within an hour to an hour and a half, it probably be best to get some help. This also means not disturbing her after the water breaks. If it breaks out in the pasture/lot/etc, let her be until she has the calf. If she is already confined by a small lot or up in the barn, then you should be OK whatever she does. Sometimes messes cows up if you move them great distances after their water breaks, and they don't seem interested in pushing for a while.

Since you are on your own for the first time, I hope you have some facilities if the cow needs help.

Let us know how things go.

I am glad I got a nap this afternoon. I think her water has broke, no feet yet. It was about 6:30 so will wait and hope she makes some good progress. She is in the calving pen and I am in my tack room so I can watch her thru the window without disturbing her. She is doing some pacing, tail is up. Keep your fingers crossed for me, well for her for a safe delivery.

I know you'll tell us just as soon as you can but I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers that the course of bad luck passes you by... our girl was large as well... which we can't decide is our fault for overindulging or just genetics... she's my BIG girl. Best wishes and let us know...

CKC1586":236x0owk said:
I am glad I got a nap this afternoon. I think her water has broke, no feet yet. It was about 6:30 so will wait and hope she makes some good progress. She is in the calving pen and I am in my tack room so I can watch her thru the window without disturbing her. She is doing some pacing, tail is up. Keep your fingers crossed for me, well for her for a safe delivery.

And???

Whew! 11:00 tonight, bull calf 95# he's a pretty boy. I needed some help, his feet were turned back but once the vet got everything pointed in the right direction we got him out. She is giving him a good bath and he is alert. I think tonight I may be able to sleep although I am pretty wound up.
Now on to the next one!!! ;-)
Thanks for all of your support, you folks are the best! :tiphat:

CKC1586":ubc6qh14 said:
Whew! 11:00 tonight, bull calf 95# he's a pretty boy. I needed some help, his feet were turned back but once the vet got everything pointed in the right direction we got him out. She is giving him a good bath and he is alert. I think tonight I may be able to sleep although I am pretty wound up.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :clap: :clap: :clap:

CKC1586":ppaed2qn said:

Glad to hear everything turned out ok.

CKC1586":pkhoawg3 said:

Congrats on the calf. Sounds like you handled it real well. I also would like to see pictures

What a long night last night and a very long day today. The little guys front feet are contracted pretty bad. That was the problem with his feet being bent back in getting up over "the shelf". The head gate that I had purchased (had a dealer make to fit in my pen) was a total waste of money as my cow was too big to get her locked in so basically was useless. Tried to figure out how to get her contained to take care of business, she had herself worked up pretty good and was difficult to handle. Finally was able to get the calf tubed and fashioned some splints out of PVC but still no luck in getting cooperation from the cow to get her milked out, so loaded them in the trailer and took them over to my brothers and put her in his Souix system calving pen (was on the phone for a couple hours trying to find someone that has one no one has anything even close in stock) and got her milked and the calf tubed again. Got home and thought the big girls sister looked like she was starting to do something so I moved her into the pen I took her sister out of. Looks like she will fit in the head gate if I need it. So as of 11:30 pm we have a water bag..... hope she can do this on her own. It is her first. Keep good thoughts coming my way once again please.

in contracted tendons, splints can actually do more harm than good. A shot of Selenium does well, as does time and alittle farmer/calf therapy.
Oxytocin works well for milk letting down if you have a problem with a cow with holding milk.
Good luck with the birth tonight

RR

Thanks. He got BoSe. I have never splinted but have never seen them as bent as he is, he cannot stand up, so decided to try anything at this point, once he can get himself up I will take them off. You think they do harm???
Oh and the vet gave the cow oxytocin last night, once I got her contained no problem in getting her milked out. She sure felt better and hopefully now she will calm down. She sure works hard at getting the little guy to get up, talkin and nudging and licking she really wants him up. Me too.
Now back to check on her sister.

CKC1586":2srpmgks said:
Thanks. He got BoSe. I have never splinted but have never seen them as bent as he is, he cannot stand up, so decided to try anything at this point, once he can get himself up I will take them off. You think they do harm???

I don't.

Had a calf several years back that I got when he was a few weeks old and had not been able to stand normally since birth. Front of his fetlocks were scraped up and because of that, he had an infection in one fetlock joint. Had splints been put on initially he might have recovered in a week's time and never gotten a joint infection. IMO, about the only way you can do serious harm is if they're on too tight and are cutting off circulation.

Had a calf several years back that I got when he was a few weeks old and had not been able to stand normally since birth. Front of his fetlocks were scraped up and because of that, he had an infection in one fetlock joint. Had splints been put on initially he might have recovered in a week's time and never gotten a joint infection. IMO, about the only way you can do serious harm is if they're on too tight and are cutting off circulation.[/quote]

We used to cast the front legs of our foals if they were too crooked, it never did them any damage and usually straightened them out. I can't imagine a splint hurting a calf if applied properly.

Latest posts