Individual tastes/Differences of opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

I think people are a little off base in how they are interpreting this event (maybe it was the way the reporter wrote the article...another tangent which could be explored in the demise or american politics and culture).

I don't think it was meant to find the best tasting beef. In fact that would undermine their real purpose in the event. It appears they were trying to show that different breeds (especially heritage breeds ) can have different flavors. By doing that they can create niches for those breeds. Its something other industries do and I've wondered why the beef industry doesn't do a little more of it. How many kinds of coffee can you buy these days or wine? Different varieties of these are prefered by different people. Wine in particular is distinguished by variety and location. French use the term "terrior" for wine from a certain area have a distinctive flavor from wine grown in other areas.

I'd like to see a "test" or some kind that simply compares the flavors and differences of beef raised in different parts of the country and finished on different feeds to see how distinctive beef can be. I think there could be some real differences that could be capitalized on with a little bit of marketing.

They probably will be some day when black isn't "cool" anymore. When I was looking for Dexters to buy, a friend asked what color they were and said, well I hope you can get some black ones cause "I hear that black stock is better".

A cousin that runs 400 registered angus and herefords said he thinks that in the next 10 years there will be almost nothing but black.... mostly angus cattle in America. The same way most dairies are Holsteins. I hope little "for fun" taste tests like this can help out in preserving some of the older breeds.

wstevenl":max0nvhk said:
They probably will be some day when black isn't "cool" anymore. When I was looking for Dexters to buy, a friend asked what color they were and said, well I hope you can get some black ones cause "I hear that black stock is better".

A cousin that runs 400 registered angus and herefords said he thinks that in the next 10 years there will be almost nothing but black.... mostly angus cattle in America. The same way most dairies are Holsteins. I hope little "for fun" taste tests like this can help out in preserving some of the older breeds.
as long as there's hobby farmers they will have a home

Hobby farmers....... OUch
I'm guessing that you're one of those that think that someone that sells meat off the farm is a hobby farmer, and those that sell steers to the feed lots are the real farmers/ranchers?

wstevenl":1yl851l4 said:
Hobby farmers....... OUch
I'm guessing that you're one of those that think that someone that sells meat off the farm is a hobby farmer, and those that sell steers to the feed lots are the real farmers/ranchers?
well uh.....i uh...hmmm this is awkward....yes
:p

I went back and read some of your past posts and can already tell, I better keep my mouth shut if I don't want to get into an argument.

Why do some people have to be jerks?

wstevenl":35y8vmge said:
I went back and read some of your past posts and can already tell, I better keep my mouth shut if I don't want to get into an argument.

Why do some people have to be jerks?
why do some people get their drawers in a wad when you say hobby farmer.. it aint crime to be one, or disgrace. heck im one myself . take it easy

Probably cuz most of the time it's used in a derogatory fashion.

Never seen anyone like being refered to as a red headed stepchild at a family reunion.

3waycross":1dgt8klu said:

Never seen anyone like being refered to as a red headed stepchild at a family reunion.
maybe but there aint a whole lot of ways to say it... redhead stepchild on the other hand might need some deplomacy ;-)

So is it the making money part that makes you a farmer (I agree with that). Or is it the enjoying it part that makes you a "hobby farmer"? The way I look at it, I'm a "hobby rancher" with my horses because they don't even begin to make money but in time I hope to be a farmer.... selling food to customers, and making money. I also want to enjoy it. If I'm making money at it, I sure wouldn't want to be called a hobby farmer but I'll most likely not be raising the same thing that they feed lot owners are asking for.

wstevenl":1astjfsq said:
So is it the making money part that makes you a farmer (I agree with that). Or is it the enjoying it part that makes you a "hobby farmer"? The way I look at it, I'm a "hobby rancher" with my horses because they don't even begin to make money but in time I hope to be a farmer.... selling food to customers, and making money. I also want to enjoy it. If I'm making money at it, I sure wouldn't want to be called a hobby farmer but I'll most likely not be raising the same thing that they feed lot owners are asking for.
there are alot of great cattlemen out there, that only run a few head... numbers might make some more profit. but?

ALACOWMAN":1bo5hcms said:
3waycross":1bo5hcms said:

maybe but there aint a whole lot of ways to say it... redhead stepchild on the other hand might need some deplomacy ;-)

You got that right :clap: :nod:

Hobby farmer is a term I use for people that do things because they want to be different for the sake of being different.When I had the ag construction company I meet alot of these types,Some were nice folks.They just wanted to do things no one else was doing and seemed to think the rest us just didn't understand agriculture or anything else.Most really enjoyed telling us how to build things to.I'm all for thinking outside the box,but it might be better if you understand whats in the box first.

First of all, I'll agree that this test proved nothing substantial. Secondly, I'm glad that there are those who are preserving the rare breeds.

There has been a scientific study about flavor and tenderness, involving hundreds of animals. It was at Colorado State University in the early nineties. It compared Herefords to "mine run" USDA beef. The results of this study were used in the development of the CHB program. The tests showed that most of the participants agreed that even in the Select grade, Hereford beef had better flavor and was more tender and juicy than the upper 2/3 USDA Choice. I have copies of these test results in my possession.

3waycross":17m7vlic said:

Yes, it is an attempt to be derogatory. The truth doesn't hurt any and never has.

The IRS has a definition for Hobby Farmer. I don't qualify. Far from it. When I first started I did. I suspect everyone did at one time or another in the early stages.

There is no doubt that I am a part timer, which only allows me to put in 50 to 60 hours a week on the farm outside of my 40 hour a week "full time" job. :D

Eat Beef,
I probably fit pretty well into your Hobby Farmer def. right now. I'm trying to be pretty open to listening to other people but I do want to do things different. The way we got started (we're still starting) is that we have a small family farm that is rented out and we wanted to try and find a way to make a little more money than usual/acre on a small scale. So, we've put 10 acres in pasture and we're going to try some different things for a while and see what works. The basic mold so far is that we want to be as close to organic as we can but not spend tons of money on certified organic feeds, and we want to sell food off the farm rather than selling calves etc.

If we can ever turn a profit I'll be able to say I'm no longer a hobby farmer.... hopefully.

wstevenl":5fq339s4 said:
Eat Beef,
I probably fit pretty well into your Hobby Farmer def. right now. I'm trying to be pretty open to listening to other people but I do want to do things different. The way we got started (we're still starting) is that we have a small family farm that is rented out and we wanted to try and find a way to make a little more money than usual/acre on a small scale. So, we've put 10 acres in pasture and we're going to try some different things for a while and see what works. The basic mold so far is that we want to be as close to organic as we can but not spend tons of money on certified organic feeds, and we want to sell food off the farm rather than selling calves etc.

If we can ever turn a profit I'll be able to say I'm no longer a hobby farmer.... hopefully.

Well experience is a great teacher and if you stay after it long enough I'm sure you'll do ok and find what works for you.

Must be a hobby. If it was work it would pay a whole lot better with fewer hours.

If that's the test, Dun, then my job as a draftsmen is a hobby too. Cause I spend way too many hours here for not enough pay.
Got to admit, the health ins. is pretty good though. :)

Latest posts