Expected heterosis differences

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Interesting table that I found in a University of Missouri study regarding crossbreeding cattle and expected heterosis differences. The larger values=more heterosis from the cross (only Bos Taurus breeds included):

Screenshot_20220426-184908_Office.jpg
Looks like hereford/chianina cross gives the biggest boost..

A big heterosis boost in that cross...outside of that,just don't know how well that would really compliment each other..

I can believe those numbers on the Chi/Hfd crosses. I had a really large, growthy Chi heifer and a little Hereford bull got through the fence... and the calf was enormous at weaning.
That was the Chianina associatons motto. increase frame size in your herd in one generation..

Assuming the info is accurate, I was surprised that charolais doesn't provide more of a boost. I'd always considered them the most growthy breed to cross with for terminal calves.
I was also disappointed in the data for simmental crosses..

Assuming the info is accurate, I was surprised that charolais doesn't provide more of a boost. I'd always considered them the most growthy breed to cross with for terminal calves.
I was also disappointed in the data for simmental crosses..
These kinds of studies are limited by their access to any broad range of genetics. They either have only a small number of cattle or they study herds using donated access. Depending of how the study is crafted they may get some results that could come out differently using larger numbers of animals and more genetic diversity. I'm not surprised by Chianina being at the top for heterosis based on weaning weights. My own experience is similar.

Interesting table that I found in a University of Missouri study regarding crossbreeding cattle and expected heterosis differences. The larger values=more heterosis from the cross (only Bos Taurus breeds included):

View attachment 16132
Looks like hereford/chianina cross gives the biggest boost..
I would say that looking at WW for heterosis is missing the point. The magic of heterosis is a boost to lowly heritable traits (fertility, longevity, calf survival) which happen to be some of the most impactful traits on profitability. The effect on other (more easily changed) traits is just a side effect (though still valuable).

I would say that looking at WW for heterosis is missing the point. The magic of heterosis is a boost to lowly heritable traits (fertility, longevity, calf survival) which happen to be some of the most impactful traits on profitability. The effect on other (more easily changed) traits is just a side effect (though still valuable).
I agree that fertility, longevity, calf survival are very important benefits of heterosis. As a commercial producer selling calves at stock barn, heavier weaning weights are just as important.
The key is to make heterosis fit your operation.. I retain too many heifers to ever use terminal bulls, but I still try to use crossbreed with breeds that niche well for replacement heifers and will still produce heavy calves.. right now I rotate sim, angus, and hereford bulls through my 3 cow herds. I'm considering introducing some gelbvieh bulls next year. All 3 herds still have a heavy angus base.

Latest posts