Can You Get Good Heterosis from a Crossbred Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bullitt

Reaction score

Also, would you put that crossbred bull on purebred cows or crossbred cows?

Bullitt":2tk9tmae said:

Also, would you put that crossbred bull on purebred cows or crossbred cows?
If I were using a crossbred bull.. Id rather the cows be purebred...

Have used two crossbred bull on crossbred cows before. Have seen some other people using crossbred bulls on both crossbred and purebred cows. The most important thing is the breeds combination, I think. Results can be very good, but also it might not work at all. Our results were pretty good, especially, with one bull, but had a pretty big difference in calves, mostly because that cows had different breeds in them.

I saw a Brahman X Hereford bull. I was wondering if it would work well to cross that bull with maybe Limousin, Simmental, Salers, Gelbvieh, or some other continental breed or cow.

I also saw an Angus X Charolais bull. I was thinking it might work well to cross that bull with a Hereford cow.

Does a three-way cross work well with a crossbred bull?

Not saying I would or wouldn't but with some of the breeds regularly using 1/2 or more Angus like SimAngus, Balancer, LimFlex, I have wondered if anyone has ever used a BWF Angus/Hereford bull.

Bullitt":2pe4sjeo said:
I saw a Brahman X Hereford bull. I was wondering if it would work well to cross that bull with maybe Limousin, Simmental, Salers, Gelbvieh, or some other continental breed or cow.

I also saw an Angus X Charolais bull. I was thinking it might work well to cross that bull with a Hereford cow.

The calves would be asking each other "" who's your daddy? "" same as yours...you sure ? funny you don't look like me.. Your gonna run into a wall with to many crosses..once you get out of the 3 way rotation.. Your going backward.. Breeders take years of breeding for consistency.. It only happens by accident or beginners luck to knock a homer mixing and matching

Ky hills":20dkgsjg said:
Not saying I would or wouldn't but with some of the breeds regularly using 1/2 or more Angus like SimAngus, Balancer, LimFlex, I have wondered if anyone has ever used a BWF Angus/Hereford bull.

You would think an Angus X Hereford bull crossed with a continental breed of cow like a Limousin, Simmental, Charolais, etc. would be a good three-way cross.

ALACOWMAN":2qzhs7hm said:
Bullitt":2qzhs7hm said:

The calves would be asking each other "" who's your daddy? "" same as yours...you sure ? funny you don't look like me.. Your gonna run into a wall with to many crosses..once you get out of the 3 way rotation.. Your going backward.. Breeders take years of breeding for consistency.. It only happens by accident or beginners luck to knock a homer mixing and matching

You would not get as much consistency with a Brahman X Hereford bull crossed with a continental breed of cow as you would with a Brahman X Hereford cow crossed with a continental breed of bull? Or any other three-way cross?

Son of Butch":3tgyha09 said:
Bullitt":3tgyha09 said:
Good heterosis comes from pb x pb cross to produce F1s and F1s x 3rd breed pb.
Beyond that you get diminished heterosis.

Your right 3 Way maximizes hybred vigor by as much as 20% weight increase in certain crosses.
At 4 Way you start regression.
Not all 2 Way crosses are equal, believe it was Fla. State research SHxAngus was the least and HerefordxBrahman the most.

Bullitt":1voky788 said:
et

I have tried sim angus and limi flex over British cows. Improved feeders result, :cowboy: but you also get more variation.

You can sort the potential replacement heifers easily enough, but what kind of calves will you get consistently from the 1/4 blood cows?

There is a large supply of good purebred bulls currently available, from a variety of breeds. Hence the market is saturated to the point where good bulls can be had at a reasonable price. What would be the benefit of selecting a crossbred bull that will most likely diminish the many benefits of heterosis?

You can get good CALVES, but you won't get good HETEROSIS.. I've found some bulls just nick with some cows and don't with others, I got MUCH better calves from SOME of my crossbred over crossbred combinations than with SOME purebred/crossbred combos

I should also add that if you have a bull like a Herf/Angus on Brahma/Continental cows you probably still get some heterosis since the breeds are so different..

I'm currently running a f1 tiger bull on a group of Hereford cows. Quarter bloods are a proven cross for replacements.
There's some other crossbreed cows in that group just to make it fit the pasture.

I've got a purebred char bull on another group of crossbreed cows as a terminal.

In his work clothes.

Nesikep":12fir65v said:
You can get good CALVES, but you won't get good HETEROSIS.. I've found some bulls just nick with some cows and don't with others, I got MUCH better calves from SOME of my crossbred over crossbred combinations than with SOME purebred/crossbred combos

Thank you. This is the information I was trying to get. Crossbred bulls do not produce good heterosis.

Bullitt":196djx14 said:
Nesikep":196djx14 said:

Thank you. This is the information I was trying to get. Crossbred bulls do not produce good heterosis.
Nor do they typically have very consistent calves... There are exceptions though, My current bull made consistent calves on a real mix of cows at his last place.. It'll take a year before I can report how he does here though. My last crossbred bull made calves with a consistent build, but a bit of a crapshoot with color

Latest posts