In Your Opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

Boss Cowman

Reaction score
Where is the best place to ranch :help: ? Not for a hobby for a living :cboy: . I am looking for reasons, such as land availabilty, cost of rented or purchased land, carrying capacity, etc. Any input is welcome.

north east texas is a good place to run cattle.because you can run 1 to 1ac in most cases.we get good rains.as well as a year round growing season.an thats 6 to 7 months summer grasses an 5 or 6 months winer grasses.an your land cost pre cow isnt that bad.$6000 to $9000 pre cow.an thats 3 to 4ac a cow.an thats for grazing an hay production.

I pulled this post up knowing I have an opinion on every thing, but after reading I don't. I only have raised cattle in my location. I do not recommend raising cattle here. Land too high and only use about 60% of it.

hillrancher":p2fbqlik said:
I pulled this post up knowing I have an opinion on every thing, but after reading I don't. I only have raised cattle in my location. I do not recommend raising cattle here. Land too high and only use about 60% of it.

What part of Arkansas you from Hill ? And I agree land isnt good for graising in this state and most land in my city is anwhere from 3,000 to 8,000 per acre :( I just bought 4 acres off my step dad for 1200 dollars and thats a steal..But then again I am his son basically and he bought it back in the 70's for 200 dollars so he made a big profit..lol was all timber too he cut it then got it to where it was nice pasture land looks great now if you look at the b4 and after photo's :)

bigbull338":1vlo4n2x said:
north east texas is a good place to run cattle.because you can run 1 to 1ac in most cases.we get good rains.as well as a year round growing season.an thats 6 to 7 months summer grasses an 5 or 6 months winer grasses.an your land cost pre cow isnt that bad.$6000 to $9000 pre cow.an thats 3 to 4ac a cow.an thats for grazing an hay production.

East Texas is good and I would think western La as well, I don't know La. tax structure.
Here you can run a cow to the acre, plenty of rainfall at times way to much.
Winter is usually mid Dec through mid Feb.
Hay cost are less due to shorter winters.
But to be fair heat is a big issue and putting weight on cows in the summer, needs some brimmer.
Land is reasonable 200 acres couple miles from me just sold for 1500 an acre with barns and a double wide.

Arkansas":13piovuw said:
hillrancher":13piovuw said:

What part of Arkansas you from Hill ? And I agree land isnt good for graising in this state and most land in my city is anwhere from 3,000 to 8,000 per acre :( I just bought 4 acres off my step dad for 1200 dollars and thats a steal..But then again I am his son basically and he bought it back in the 70's for 200 dollars so he made a big profit..lol was all timber too he cut it then got it to where it was nice pasture land looks great now if you look at the b4 and after photo's :)

Thats cute he made a big profit. In the early 70's he was most likely making 2.50 an hour and he got to pay taxes on it for over thirty years. Man he cleaned up on that piece of land. Selling timber and making pasture is not free if you have a really good stand of timber you could have paid for the land, clearing and fenceing isn't free.

Well since your from nebraska I would say north central missouri, seems to be some good deals there and climate and culture might be more what your used to compared to east texas or oklahoma

East Texas is beautiful and tons of cattle ranches. But I would think their is alot of competition there will all the HUGE ranches around. Seems like people around that area have big bucks

Caustic Burno":1oz6fqnz said:
bigbull338":1oz6fqnz said:

East Texas is good and I would think western La as well, I don't know La. tax structure.
Here you can run a cow to the acre, plenty of rainfall at times way to much.
Winter is usually mid Dec through mid Feb.
Hay cost are less due to shorter winters.
But to be fair heat is a big issue and putting weight on cows in the summer, needs some brimmer.
Land is reasonable 200 acres couple miles from me just sold for 1500 an acre with barns and a double wide.

Compared to our location in SE La. that is a steal. No way to buy or expand over here at the prices of 5,000 to 10,000 per acre.

Caustic Burno":36bkxttu said:
Arkansas":36bkxttu said:
hillrancher":36bkxttu said:

Thats cute he made a big profit. In the early 70's he was most likely making 2.50 an hour and he got to pay taxes on it for over thirty years. Man he cleaned up on that piece of land. Selling timber and making pasture is not free if you have a really good stand of timber you could have paid for the land, clearing and fenceing isn't free.

LOL I never thought about it that way..Well I guess he wanted to do something nice for me then :)

:D Looks like east Texas is popular. I thought I might get some northern guys, but they are probably scooping snow. What about north eastern Oklahoma? I recently saw a ranch to rent there that seemed cheap. I'd really like to keep the cows I have now and not invest in ear :oops: no offense to anyones pet cow. Taxes are another consideration, Nebraska taxes suck :clap: and I'm sure won't get better. I am currently looking at adding a 1/4 and the taxes on it are $1100 a year. I am kind of looking for a house and facilities big enough for the family (wife and 3 amature cow callers) to buy, and to rent grass for 200+ head of cows with opportunity for expansion.

What part of Arkansas you from Hill ? And I agree land isnt good for graising in this state and most land in my city is anwhere from 3,000 to 8,000 per acre I just bought 4 acres off my step dad for 1200 dollars and thats a steal..But then again I am his son basically and he bought it back in the 70's for 200 dollars so he made a big profit..lol was all timber too he cut it then got it to where it was nice pasture land looks great now if you look at the b4 and after photo's Just cause you Played !

Arkansas I am at Lat. 36.392122 Long. -93.747606 just south of Golden Mo.

Ah well, here's one in Perry County, Mo with American Homes Realty

200 acre farm that has everything! 5 BR, 3BA 1 1/2 story remodeled house and guest house 1 BR 1 Ba and kitchen, 4 car garage, 4 large sheds, large barn, 2 lakes, 2 ponds, creek, 117 acres cropland, wood pasture, great hunting. Privacy with lots of view ................................ just only $725,000

and I think you're in luck - didn't they just raise Fannie Mae to $750,000

Hippie you are right with one big exception. If you are not a citizen of Mexico they can take the land back anytime "they" decide to.

Seen 22 acres come up for sell on the county road to town, went in to see the realtor I was thinking of buying it for an investment. They were asking 1795 an acre some Bozo from Houston had already put money down on it. He will move in and most likely bring 20 dogs cause he now lives in the country.

Caustic Burno":3ffawlg9 said:
Seen 22 acres come up for sell on the county road to town, went in to see the realtor I was thinking of buying it for an investment. They were asking 1795 an acre some Bozo from Houston had already put money down on it. He will move in and most likely bring 20 dogs cause he now lives in the country.

CB don't forget the horse that nobody rides, plus a 4 wheeler for every person in the family and the fire that gets out and burns the place off the first time they come out in the motor home and want a romantic little camp fire.

Boss Cowman":2bz2w0ff said:
Where is the best place to ranch :help: ? Not for a hobby for a living :cboy: . I am looking for reasons, such as land availabilty, cost of rented or purchased land, carrying capacity, etc. Any input is welcome.

You might want to look at Oklahoma. Our tax rate is still one of the lowest in the country. The state government is still ag-friendly. Land prices are going up, but that's true about anywhere. We've talked to several people who sold out in other states, bought more land here for a lot less money. Carrying capacity will vary a lot from SW OK to SE OK. The recommendation for us is 12 acres per cow-calf unit on our native grass (no fertilizer or weed spray on it). We have decent weather. It gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter, but not for the extended periods you see further south and north. We're sort of in the middle of the country, if transportation to feedlots or packing plants is a concern. Oklahoma State University is a great resource for cattlemen. The Noble Foundation is another great resource.

Boss Cowman":u9prdncz said:
:D Looks like east Texas is popular. I thought I might get some northern guys, but they are probably scooping snow. What about north eastern Oklahoma? I recently saw a ranch to rent there that seemed cheap. I'd really like to keep the cows I have now and not invest in ear :oops: no offense to anyones pet cow. Taxes are another consideration, Nebraska taxes suck :clap: and I'm sure won't get better. I am currently looking at adding a 1/4 and the taxes on it are $1100 a year. I am kind of looking for a house and facilities big enough for the family (wife and 3 amature cow callers) to buy, and to rent grass for 200+ head of cows with opportunity for expansion.

I've done my work in SE Kansas. Nice land but you have longer winters of course than you would in Eastern Texas. But from what the people would say the pasture land isnt that much worst than east Texas though I wouldnt say its 1 cow/ acre.

I've been wandering with all this talk of extreme economic downturns ,recession(at best)and the credit crisis and housing(realestate),if the bottom is gonna fall out on land prices.For those that can weather the storm and have a decent nest egg,could be a chance to scoop up more land cheap.I'm always looking for more land but not at todays prices.I hate to see hard times for anyone but could be a good oppurtunity for some.Just some random thoughts that popped in my little brain the other day.I may be lucky to have food if things get as bad as some predict.What do ya'll think?

Latest posts