In case anyone forgot.

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Cattle are stupid.

Simple task turns into a 40 minute ordeal because one idiot just can't figure out what an open gate means and how all follow all the other cattle through the gate. If beef prices weren't what they are I may have purged this fool from the gene pool but my dog thoroughly enjoyed the calf's stupidity.

I must have different kind of cattle too. "All follow" doesn't hold true here--as the ones you really want and need to move NEVER follow the rest thru any of the gates.
What really amazes me is-----How, do those few know????

Cattle really are quite smart. I have read that they have the intelligence of a dog. So with that said, you all must have some really untrained cattle and need to start educating them better. :mrgreen:

BTW- My cows come when they are called. My dog doesn't! :hide:

branguscowgirl":1o8cmlrg said:
Cattle really are quite smart. I have read that they have the intelligence of a dog. So with that said, you all must have some really untrained cattle and need to start educating them better. :mrgreen:

BTW- My cows come when they are called. My dog doesn't! :hide:
Your dog must think it belongs to someone else.
If you think you really are the boss, try ordering someone else's dog around

Got my first taste of hoof yesterday, in all the years I've been around and kicked by cattle that was a first to get it in the face. I was helping a new born drink when it decided to fall over and scared her, and she threw out a quick kick. I managed to be pulling my face back but she sped up the process. Loosened a few teeth and cut my lip. But could have been much worse, just missed my nose.

I thought she was pretty stupid at that moment too. :mad:

Supa Dexta":170cwooj said:
Got my first taste of hoof yesterday, in all the years I've been around and kicked by cattle that was a first to get it in the face. I was helping a new born drink when it decided to fall over and scared her, and she threw out a quick kick. I managed to be pulling my face back but she sped up the process. Loosened a few teeth and cut my lip. But could have been much worse, just missed my nose.

I thought she was pretty stupid at that moment too. :mad:
I've never been really hurt by a kick (yet) from anything, but it's not from lack of them trying.
I think calves are the worst--what they lack in strength and punch they more than make up for in speed, agility and unpredictability. They're like them ninja things on TV--they run like a deer and can kick in both directions at once and ya don't even see it coming.

Jogeephus":2pc9b7sz said:
Cattle are stupid.

Simple task turns into a 40 minute ordeal because one idiot just can't figure out what an open gate means and how all follow all the other cattle through the gate. If beef prices weren't what they are I may have purged this fool from the gene pool but my dog thoroughly enjoyed the calf's stupidity.

Let's see....South Georgia, late July, ...... probably a lovely "3 change of clothes" day too...... :lol:

She kicked like a girl. I'll be fine. ha

But yes, weaning/working calves is the worst, their small hooves concentrate the impact more than a big cow does. A cow also has to shift her weight usually so you kind of see it coming, where as the smaller ones are near instant.

I got one in the shin last year.. usually a well behaved cow, guess she spooked somehow.. she didn't get me too hard, so I was real quick at returning it

i got one in the shins not too long ago in the chute. it cracked so loud my wife thought i was gonna fold up....funny tho..didnt really hurt and never bruised up..sounded like a home run tho

1982vett":1801qh3z said:
Jogeephus":1801qh3z said:
Cattle are stupid.

Let's see....South Georgia, late July, ...... probably a lovely "3 change of clothes" day too...... :lol:

Heat index has only been 114f. Good thing the wind hasn't been blowing.

Smart cow looking for shade I think

20 years ago, the day after I brought my wife and newborn son home from the hospital, I was helping load some pairs to go to a rented place. Pushing the last pair down the alley, the cow jumped on the trailer but the calf wouldn't load, I bent down to pick up the calf and the next thing I knew I was being drug out of the alley by my Dad. Cow nailed me right between the eyes and bridge of the nose. I've got some really nice baby pictures of my son and me with my eyes all black and face swelled up like a pumpkin. Made me lot more cautious after that, that old cow could have killed me right there with a three day old son.

A few years ago I was moving our Jersey nurse cow and calf over to another pasture about 2 miles away. Loaded the ol' gentle cow into the trailer with no problem but the 1 month old heifer calf refused to follow. Matter of fact she just laid down where she was and refused to budge. After a few minutes of prodding, cajoling and trying to make her move she refused. I picked her up in my arms much like a baby with her on her back. She was really good until I got to the trailer door and was going to put her through a 2' wide opening in the sliding rear door. She exploded. She kicked me on just about every inch of my body from my knees to my chest. It was like a machine gun. I looked like grandma after being run over by a reindeer. I pretty much threw her through the door. It was comical to everybody but me. I hurt for a week. I looked like a lady bug with all of the bruises on my stomach and chest.

Its a good thing the cow pictured didn't have much ear else it would have took a knee and hung itself. :lol2:

Latest posts