I'm Lucky to be Back- long post

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
Down here at the farm, now starting the 3rd week and boy could I tell the stories already... :roll:

Spent the first week driving my brother around turkey hunting, if he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn so no fresh meat. One time I went and parked and just started walking and got within 80 yards of 3 good sized toms and waited for them to come my way by making a few "PUCK" and "POP" noises with my mouth. Got them within about 60 yards and was gunna wait so I knew for sure they were in range and the kid sets up probably 450 yards away, across 3 fences, a ton of trees and who knows what all else and scares the birds away with his calling... you'd swear he was say "RUN!! GUN!!!" but he swears he's not.

Was putting hay in the replacement heifer lot and saw one was gunna calf soon so I put her up in the sorting pens so she could be alone with the previous replacement heifer that had calfed. (2 this year have now calved about 10 months early) I went and got all the calf pulling equipment so that my Murphy's law we shouldn't have to use it and thank god we didn't, while we were eating supper, she squirted out a baby approx. weighing 50-55 pounds.

Our one and only Reg. Angus cow is running out in the pasture with her calf and one morning the 8 year old Reg. bull we have that is about on his last leg got out there with her. We were going to AI her so that wasn't what we wanted. I went out to try to coax them in and they wouldn't come to a call, the old simmie cow with her came about 20 yards then stopped and waited for me, but the bull was nowhere in site and didn't come up til I had fed the other two. They headed out across the old CRP and I walked the up to the dead electric fence that was where the cows were spose to be. The bull jumped over and the cows peeled back and I was left with just "Lucy" to deal with, so I was trying to get him to just stand around up there so my grandpa could get back around and open up a gate to drive him to when the turned around and started sprinting on the opposite side of the 10 or so acre little pen, I jogged along my side to stay "safe" to keep him in sight when he whipped a 180 and took me, well I went to jump the electric fence and slipped a lil on the wet grass and caught the toe of my boot on the fence and landed flat in a cow pie and had crap from my knee to my hand, but I jumped up and took off sprinting again and hurdled the old 4 wire divider fence (explain that to me) and the bull sat out there zig-zagging to try to figure out where to be to level my butt, well I scurried up a cedar tree(not the easiest thing in the world) and the bull came and stood under the tree and walking around it :shock: Papa hollered because he saw pieces of the event and wanted to know where I was at so I yelled back and told him the bull was at my feet, about that time the bull took off towards the cows and I took off towards Papa, he was laughin his butt off, but I sure didn't think it was funny...

There are a few more good stories but you'll have to call me or pm me if ya wanna hear them.

Take care everybody

Jake

Bet your thinkin' - Tell me again why I do this?

Maybe your just gettin' the bad stuff out of the way and the rest will be smooth sailin'. :lol: Hope that's the case anyway.

Good to hear from you again. Was kinda wonderin' where ya went.

I hurdled a 4-strand barbed wire fence with a bucket full of chicken necks (turtle bait) in one hand and a tackle box and pole in the other. Amazing how fast your brain works when you have a ton of mad Charolais on your tail. I remember thinking that if I could get my knees above the top wire, I'd get to the other side. Cleared it with ease. That was almost 25 years ago though.

greenwillowherefords":2jar4qof said:
I think that'd be all she wrote for that bull. Time to become hamburger meat. Good to have you back.

I agree with that. We once had a Santa Gertudis bull run my mom and another lady round and round an old square baler. After I controlled my laughter, I yelled get up on the baler. There must be some truth the old tale a bull doesn't like red as that was the color of her jacket. Mom made us put wheels under him. :lol: :lol: :lol:

jkwilson":1obi4ycy said:
I hurdled a 4-strand barbed wire fence with a bucket full of chicken necks (turtle bait) in one hand and a tackle box and pole in the other. Amazing how fast your brain works when you have a ton of mad Charolais on your tail. I remember thinking that if I could get my knees above the top wire, I'd get to the other side. Cleared it with ease. That was almost 25 years ago though.

It's all in the motivation! :lol:

;-)

TLCfromARK":2la9r8ai said:
jkwilson":2la9r8ai said:

It's all in the motivation! :lol:

;-)

that's all it took, and if this isn't smooth sailing what is?? never known it any different around here.

its amazing the feats we can accomplish with the right motivation ;-)

there has been a time or 2 when i have thrown myself over a 6 foot pipe fence to get out of some crazy cow's way... dont know how i did it and went over with such force that i landed all spraddled out on the other side :shock: not a smooth landing to say the least, but at least it was on the other side of the fence :D

jt

Latest posts