I'm gonna miss her...........

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I sold this 4 year old 2months bred last week. I miss her already. Sellers remorse. She was just out of sequence with my calving season. She was a good momma cow.

securedownload.jpg

TennesseeTuxedo":v76m34xb said:
Why did you sell her then?
My goal is to have my cows calve together all within 45 days or so. She was far enough out of sequence that I would never get her caught up. Prices are really high now so it is a good time to sell.

HOSS":18aegjsn said:
I sold this 4 year old 2months bred last week. I miss her already. Sellers remorse. She was just out of sequence with my calving season. She was a good momma cow.

securedownload.jpg

If you want that 45 day calving window you did the right thing

when you have a set calving period youll cut your throat every year more or less.because your top cows may fall out the window.

bigbull338":2ii7hijs said:
when you have a set calving period youll cut your throat every year more or less.because your top cows may fall out the window.

definitely not trying to start an argument but IMO if they fall to far out the window then they shouldn't be considered your top cows? If they're taking too long to get bred back I mean.

bigbull338":3hql5klu said:

She is a good cow but not my top cow. She falls middle of the pack for quality and performance. I like one calving season and a group of calves that I can sell at one time that are uniform in size and age. I have finally gotten to where I have buyers that will buy directly from me at a premium if I have several the same size / color etc. For me it also makes it easier keeping an eye on them during calving (I bring them up to a 20 acre pasture near the house) and it makes it easier when I do A.I. as I can synch them all up at one time and breed them at one time. I calve in the early spring so I can have them weaned and sold before I need to start feeding hay so this reduces my hay usage over the winter. It seems to be working out for me at this point. I do run a risk of losing on all of the calves if the price drops I guess.

I applaud you having the guts to cull a good looking cow. Being that far out of synch in calving time is about like coming up open at preg check. Just let her go and spend your time and efforts on the ones that fit your plan. Same thing for good cows but with attitude problems.

I had a "good cow" who had a real attitude problem. So did her calves. Kept her around for awhile and finally just sold everything with her bloodline in it. It is amazing how much calmer the entire herd is now with them gone and much more fun and easier to work with. It was like a weight off of my shoulders when she was gone. Also safer to be around them. Management requires tough decisions some times. Congrats.

jim

well i calve cows year round here in texas.an they must calve yearly.if they are very far off that there better be a good reason.when they are culled they go the kill pen.

tncattle":bjp3o806 said:
bigbull338":bjp3o806 said:

definitely not trying to start an argument but IMO if they fall to far out the window then they shouldn't be considered your top cows? If they're taking too long to get bred back I mean.

In my case that would be too fast to breed back. I calve year round too BB. If one happens to go 13 months for whatever reason, she is usually still months ahead.

Hoss if she is just out of sequence, she would have worked well for me and my operation.

boogie i to have had cows go over a year before they calved back an thats ok when i know why they did it such as raising a big calf.ive got a 1st calf heifer thats way over the limit,she calved in june 2010 an its fast approching june 2012.an i keep hoping she is bred.but it looks like she is going to the sale barn.

tncattle":13vw5vzv said:

She looks like a good cow, but I support Tn on this one. When your calf crop is uniform you will know you made the right call.

Jason

Latest posts