I'm humming and hawing about this guy

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Here's a bull that's coming up for auction soon, he was my pick of the bunch when I went to see them in person, was bummed I couldn't buy him then and there

Lot #122---- BRM 833F
This red, multi-polled, bull has high Calving Ease and low Birth Weight EPD's, inherited from his Dam and his Sire. He has also inherited the performance necessary to be a herd sire prospect with lots of length, good hair coat and a 38.5 cm scrotum on March 15/19. He started out with an 89 pound birth weight, has good strong feet and legs, an easy disposition and is from a dam with a perfect udder. (The dam comes from a longevity lineage, all having perfect udders and feet.)
This bull will give you great replacement females as well as heavy weaning steers. He weaned off his dam on September 7th at 926 lbs, from pasture with no creep feed. On March 16/19 the bull weighed 1338 lbs.

https://cdgv.digitalbeef.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=_animal&file=_animal&animal_registration=CDGV167934

there's his EPDs

The heifer I bought last fall is from the same sire

Interesting composite lineage. Thick and meaty with impressive performance and his dam's udder quality is a plus. Not to rain on your parade but he appears to be either/or sickle hocked/posty behind.

76 Bar said:
Interesting composite lineage. Thick and meaty with impressive performance and his dam's udder quality is a plus. Not to rain on your parade but he appears to be either/or sickle hocked/posty behind.

I do see what you're talking about.. I didn't notice it in person when I saw him.. Unfortunately I never got any really good pictures of him, he was just puffing himself and posturing and I was a bit pressed for time. I also know these people don't polish their animals to mask anything.. He's certainly one of the most masculine animals, curly neck fur and hump much more pronounced than a lot of his peers

I kinda find it strange his docility score is low, all the animals on that ranch are pretty much pets, suits me fine...
When I picked up the heifer we had to put the cows into the corrals, Me, as a stranger had to tail them to get them to move.. the heifer was a little nervous for a few days after I got her home, but she's settled down nicely

I do see what you're talking about.. I didn't notice it in person when I saw him.
Easy to get gobsmacked doncha know. :lol:
I also know these people don't polish their animals to mask anything..
A rarity and much appreciated.
He's certainly one of the most masculine animals, curly neck fur and hump much more pronounced than a lot of his peers
Not to mention his slick top line. ;-)
I kinda find it strange his docility score is low, all the animals on that ranch are pretty much pets, suits me fine...
Likely some close up in the pedigree were notorious for poor disposition. Often difficult to distinquish between genetic and man made.

Looks like a fine bull to me that will compliment the herd you have at home quite nicely. His WW and YW are right where I like to see them on bulls that haven't been pushed.

76 Bar said:
Likely some close up in the pedigree were notorious for poor disposition. Often difficult to distinquish between genetic and man made.

Looks like none of the EPD's have a whole lot of accuracy, best I see is BW at 0.29.. I don't think they have a lot of customers where the calves get registered... Gelbvieh association wants $25 per head per year which I think is a pretty steep price.

Even his sire, grandsires and great grandsires are low accuracy epds .55 tops.
I see faulting his rear legs as his worst trait, but not a deal breaker depending on price
as he looks average good to above average in most other aspects.

Good looking rascal. His numbers don't mean a thing at that accuracy imho the eye test and actual performance mean much more too me.

Well, he was out of my price range.. $5500 CAD or about $4200 USD.. The black one from the same breeder went for $6500 or 5000 USD

I might breed my heifers to my neighbors BA bull.. I don't fancy having a couple oddball black calves in my group, but if it means I don't have to keep 2 bulls I guess it's worth it.. He was alright with it, gotta figure out a stud fee I suppose and the logistics of it.. Perhaps I'll just load each heifer into the trailer when she's in heat and bring her over.. only a 10 minute drive.

Latest posts