Gonna miss him

Help Support CattleToday:

holm25

Reaction score
Gonna miss this old guy. At 4 Years old he is way too young to be eaten but couldn't find anyone that wanted the poor guy... Gonna miss having him around. Not sure we will ever get another like him... Most laid back dope we have ever had. Hauling him in to the sales barn tomorrow.. Hoping to at least get a good price for the brute. Ole was a good bull.

Franke":3bbi6aik said:
Nice looking bull.

He is nice. Just have too many daughters around that will be joining the cow herd next year...

I wouldn't worry about breeding his daughters.. just don't keep replacements from them.. A good bull is worth keeping around a while

Even at the sale barn he may get bought for breeding.. I sold my Gelbvieh bull at 7 years old and the price I got seemed high for butcher.. I got $100 more for him when I sold him than when I bought him 5 years earlier

holm25":es0f45m1 said:
Gonna miss this old guy. At 4 Years old he is way too young to be eaten but couldn't find anyone that wanted the poor guy... Gonna miss having him around. Not sure we will ever get another like him... Most laid back dope we have ever had. Hauling him in to the sales barn tomorrow.. Hoping to at least get a good price for the brute. Ole was a good bull.

A lot of top bulls eventually end up at slaughter every year......... even the high priced ones.

Hard to find a 4-6 y/o here for sale unless they want a high price. I have looked the last few years and looking again but either they just sold one at the auction or they want a lot. Was priced one recenty for 5.

Commercial herd...I'm still of the opinion that, so long as the bull is not carrying any known genetic defects, and you like what he brings to the table... there's little to no downside to letting him breed his own daughters. Concentrates the good traits that you like in your herd and you get more use out of him.

Have a similar one here I'd like to find a home for...3.5 yr old...just now hitting his peak...and we haven't even kept any daughters yet...but switching to all Spring calving, we don't care to keep him around for 10 mos with nothing to do but eat and tear stuff up. Hate to pound him out, but doubt anyone around here would pay what he's really worth. Have even considered offering him for lease, to the right person...wouldn't mind having him back, come May...he can cover a lot of cows now, unlike a yearling bull.

Lucky_P":na2fce9w said:
Commercial herd...I'm still of the opinion that, so long as the bull is not carrying any known genetic defects, and you like what he brings to the table... there's little to no downside to letting him breed his own daughters. Concentrates the good traits that you like in your herd and you get more use out of him.

Have a similar one here I'd like to find a home for...3.5 yr old...just now hitting his peak...and we haven't even kept any daughters yet...but switching to all Spring calving, we don't care to keep him around for 10 mos with nothing to do but eat and tear stuff up. Hate to pound him out, but doubt anyone around here would pay what he's really worth. Have even considered offering him for lease, to the right person...wouldn't mind having him back, come May...he can cover a lot of cows now, unlike a yearling bull.

I agree with Lucky P., depending on the number of daughters we're actually talking about. It would make sense to me to keep using this bull for another year or two if it would prevent you from having to get another bull. I think I read that this guy is relatively young.

It may also make a lot of sense if you could just separate his daughters from the other females and AI them.

Lastly, Lucky P has a bull he needs to change out, ya'll could just switch bulls. :)

Lucky_P":2rtfkjuh said:

We already have a bull lined up for next year. Gonna borrow a neighbor guys angus bull. Then we are hoping to get a good Sim bull from a breeder a few towns over. Would be the same guy we got this bull from.

I understand your sentiments. I have a couple that will be buried on the place (I realize this is a luxury not everyone has). Going back to the same breeder for another one sounds like a good plan!

Latest posts