If you could start over

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
if you could start over, besides not getting in it at all, what would you do different. would you go with commercial,registered. would you sell replacement bulls/females. would you just sell commercial calves at the sale. please give examples of why you would not do this again. I think examples of what not to do are better than what to do.

Having sold out and reloacted a number of times, I wouldn't do anything any different then we do now.

dun

knowing what I know now, I would of started younger when the hay bales were lighter. Always had horses, raised goats and dogs.... But I get so much joy now being around my few Dexters.

I would buy about 1/2 as many and spend the same amount of money for better quality animals. It is easier to buy what you want than to take something less and try to breed up to where you want to be.

I wouldn't do much different, except start on this journey at a much younger age. I reckon I'll be dead from old age before I reach the 1000 head goal.

I think I would have spent more time talking to the locals to see what was working for them. I've always been a believer that to be successful, you should look at what the successful people are doing and do that. I thought I knew enough about cattle to go my own way but the difference between the soil types and pasture at the new farm brought some unexpected obstacles that most of the people who farmed in this area were already aware of.
Also, I'd buy a better tractor.

I wouldn't get distracted and chase after other things. I wouldn't listen to those who said I couldn't do it. Oh, I would listen to the guy who in 1979 was trying to talk me into buying stock in Micro Soft...... who knew???
Dave

I would have started many years sooner (If I could have) and I would have had a working/loading chute with headgate already in place. I did not do this, and working the cows was a challenge to say the least. It's amazing how creative one becomes when necessary.

Latest posts