Run over

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
One day ago yesterday I got knock off my feet at a branding by a big bull calf. So today at the same location we worked a bunch of fall calves. They were big enough that they all went through a squeeze chute. We then took the cows and calves down the road to their summer home. I went down the road to a gate. Opened the gate and parked my pickup so to block off the road. There is a deep ditch to the left. Some of the cows were coming down the ditch. So I climbed in there to turn them back up on to the road. One cow managed to get by the front of my pickup while I was in the ditch. One of the guys on a quad went tearing down the road to turn her back. Four cow dogs took off following him. One of the dogs was apparently not watching where it was going. It ran into my knee doing mach 1. So I didn't get run over by a cow today but I was run over by a cow dog. Are we having fun yet?

One day ago yesterday I got knock off my feet at a branding by a big bull calf. So today at the same location we worked a bunch of fall calves. They were big enough that they all went through a squeeze chute. We then took the cows and calves down the road to their summer home. I went down the road to a gate. Opened the gate and parked my pickup so to block off the road. There is a deep ditch to the left. Some of the cows were coming down the ditch. So I climbed in there to turn them back up on to the road. One cow managed to get by the front of my pickup while I was in the ditch. One of the guys on a quad went tearing down the road to turn her back. Four cow dogs took off following him. One of the dogs was apparently not watching where it was going. It ran into my knee doing mach 1. So I didn't get run over by a cow today but I was run over by a cow dog. Are we having fun yet?
Explain that one to a Dr and see if they look at you funny. My Orthopedic Dr grew up around cattle and when i told him i couldn't have knee surgery untill hay season was finished he understood.

You gotta watch those working dogs they will be focussed on the cows and only minor attention to where they are going. I have been hit several times by my dogs, they will take your legs out from under you. If they hit you at the wrong angle they could easily do some nasty damage to you.
Are you all OK Dave?

Ken

Wife got clipped by one of our labs a few years back. I threw the flag , penalized him 15 yards and my wife didn't see the humor in it . Limped around for a couple of weeks .

You gotta watch those working dogs they will be focussed on the cows and only minor attention to where they are going. I have been hit several times by my dogs, they will take your legs out from under you. If they hit you at the wrong angle they could easily do some nasty damage to you.
Are you all OK Dave?

Ken
I am fine. He hit the front of my knee. I wouldn't have wanted that blow coming from the side. They were running after B. All of the cows were long gone and he wasn't the front of the pack. I have no idea what he was looking at but it sure wasn't where he was going. How fast can a Border Collie go when a Border Collie is chasing other Border Collies?

Well, at least he kept going.. Getting run over is better than them doin a dance on your chest while trying to chew your face off. Same when a bovine does it. Better if they keep going than stickin around, trying to push your chest thru the ground.

Just goes to show how fast and how many things can happen when working with animals.
We a purebred Heeler and two of her pups by a border collie. Those Heeler/BC mixes have run into me several times, knocking my feet out from under me once and hurting like heck ever time.
My wife didn't quite understand, she thought it was just me getting over excited about it, until one did it to her.
Know a man that he and his wife raise German Shepherds and one of them run into his wife and broke her leg.

Latest posts