If old genitics

Help Support CattleToday:

Hollis":2l9r6gqq said:
WalnutCrest":2l9r6gqq said:
... and ...

FS 4 and 1000 lbs ... weaning 50% ... 500 lbs
FS 7 and 1600 lbs ... weaning 35% ... 560 lbs

... the value of the extra 60 lbs was generated at what cost?

That probably is different between your operation and mine.

How much corn do u buy to feed? That is a cost rather u raise corn or buy it.

I would rather have a 5 frame ideally but not everyone is the same.

He was trying to make a point that smaller framed cows were efficient. Myself I sell beef and year in and year out a langer frame cow puts more beef on the ground for less inputs. FYI, all cows are grass fed. And the best tasting one's are corn fed.

Hollis":a3c6twsh said:
WalnutCrest":a3c6twsh said:
... and ...

FS 4 and 1000 lbs ... weaning 50% ... 500 lbs
FS 7 and 1600 lbs ... weaning 35% ... 560 lbs

... the value of the extra 60 lbs was generated at what cost?

That probably is different between your operation and mine.

How much corn do u buy to feed? That is a cost rather u raise corn or buy it.

I would rather have a 5 frame ideally but not everyone is the same.

You're new around here so I won't beat you up much ...

I love me some 4.0-5.5 FS Aubracs and 3.0-4.0 FS Mashona. I raise FBs of both breeds and F1 crosses (both ways) of each.

And, when I'm not in the middle of transitioning farms (which, without boring you for details, I've done three times in the last eight months ... am FINALLY settled), I feed zero corn or DDG.

Here's a picture of our herdsire, Zach. He's a FS 4.0 and weighed 2087lbs about two weeks prior to this photo. Two weeks ago, he was just in for his BSE, and his scrotal was 41 and shot 92% good.

MMR_Zach_-_019_-_2015_11_29_small_.jpg

So, with that background, you tell me whether or not you think I'd be interested in a bull with the measurements you had in the post immediately above this reply ...

Back in the day, I liked Pine Drive Big Sky. He put a lot of daylight under his calves, and that wouldn't really fly today. They were growth oriented though, and the heifers made some decent cows. He came along about the time I was learning to AI. I actually have a sprinkling of cows, that go back to him. Great big girls with odd looking udders, but never had to sell one because of an udder.

Imho, he gave you the growth of a continental in an angus package. The angus package hasn't offered growth as an option in a while.

Jay H,
The polled Hereford has made so much improvement on the cancer eyed, prolapsing funky udders of yesteryear. Most of us will not live long enough to breed that out of a commercial operation. Funky udders leave here after the first calf.

Tiny cattle lose money on grass fed beef. I am not a rich kid from California with daddy paying my bills. I need a bull calf to GROW on grass so he can be beef by Turkey Day. There are hundreds of guys selling grass fed in my area and nobody uses old Hereford semen.

JWBrahman":30d2r56m said:
Jay H,
The polled Hereford has made so much improvement on the cancer eyed, prolapsing funky udders of yesteryear. Most of us will not live long enough to breed that out of a commercial operation. Funky udders leave here after the first calf.

Tiny cattle lose money on grass fed beef. I am not a rich kid from California with daddy paying my bills. I need a bull calf to GROW on grass so he can be beef by Turkey Day. There are hundreds of guys selling grass fed in my area and nobody uses old Hereford semen.

So u can have a calf ready by thanksgiving on grass. What weight if u don't mind me asking, and are u saying weaned fall calf here or spring calf?

And u are right no one uses old hereford semen. I raise what I want. No daddy's money here.
I think the skinny a $$ed Angus black things look horrible. I have seen some occ genetics I like.
Guys around here promote grass fed but u drive by and see feed trucks and corn everywhere. Lol. And I agree u can get them to small.

January-February bull calves. An F1 Brangus or Braford can easily hit 1,000 with no money outta my pitifully small stack of cash. Most grass fed guys are doing a 3 way cross and charging $1.80 lb, customer pays processing. It's the only way I can get bull money for a steer.

Hollis":2f9wrjkc said:
Someone thinks old genetics are worth something.

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... grimage%2F

There was a place in California using those same Aberdeen Genetics, Fair Oaks Ranch. Alacowman posted photos and links a while back. They are already out of business.

I've been reading the Purity Thread.

You got a handful of guys shooting each other in the testicles. None of those characters are customers if you catch my drift. The best bull posted on there in a long time was Ed Hawks' herd sire. I wouldn't buy a stick of gum from the purity crowd.

:bday:
JWBrahman":3p0w6bpc said:
Hollis":3p0w6bpc said:

There was a place in California using those same Aberdeen Genetics, Fair Oaks Ranch. Alacowman posted photos and links a while back. They are already out of business.

You got a handful of guys shooting each other in the testicles. None of those characters are customers if you catch my drift. The best bull posted on there in a long time was Ed Hawks' herd sire. I wouldn't buy a stick of gum from the purity crowd.

Lol. I agree Ed''s bull looked nice. As for buying something I look ask questions and do my own thing. I think there is more than u and I know going on with all that politics.

Hollis":kgxbawbj said:
Bestoutwest":kgxbawbj said:
Hollis":kgxbawbj said:

There's also a lot of people that thought Bernie Madoff would be a really good hedge fund manager....

That's funny. Made me chuckle

[tangent]

...now this is a story I actually know something about.

A friend of mine is the one who was the primary whistle-blower; he's the one who testified to congress and begged the mafia (Russian, Italian, Chinese, etc.) to not kill him for exposing the fraud.

I actually held copies of the original research / information in my office for years in case "something happened" to my friend before it all came to light. His strict instructions were to never touch it with my bare hands so I'd never leave a fingerprint on it...either use gloves or have my kids pick the papers up.

[/tangent]

Hollis ... you never responded to my comments ...

JWBrahman":1opshm00 said:
Hollis":1opshm00 said:

The purity thread on HT needs to be taken with not a grain but a ton of salt because we have yet to see more than hearsay and rumors be proven true as there have not been any published facts or reports to back the claims being made. If they eventually do prove that their claims are true then kudos to those wearing the tin foil hats right now for being the first to make the purity claims but JWBrahman couldn't have said it better when he described it as "a handful of guys shooting each other in the testicles." Anyone who who is thinking of using a Hereford bull right now and that is the first thing they might come across wouldn't touch the breed with a 10 foot pole if they believed all of what they read. By taking the hard stance and trashing the breed like they are they are not only doing others harm but hurting their own reputation as well whether they realize it or not. Why aren't these guys showing up at Hereford events to interact with other breeders or making a call or asking for a 1 on 1 meeting with the CEO to discuss these issues face to face instead of hiding behind a computer keyboard?

I'm not going to ignore that there may be questions of purity in the breed because I think the same could be said for just about any breed when you come across traits or abnormalities that don't make sense but some of the claims that people have knowingly been passing off crossbreds as purebreds and accusing associations of covering it up without any factual evidence is just careless gossip. I probably just opened a can of worms by saying what I just did because there are some guys out there hellbent that there is a conspiracy with breed purity but until there are facts to back the claims I see no good coming out of what they are doing.

The 1 thing I get a chuckle out of are the folks who accuse breed associations and bull studs of ruining breed progress by hyping up EPDs and academia because the bottom line is you as a breeder make your own choices and management decisions and no association or sire stud is going to force you to use genetics that don't fit your program and customer needs. If you fail its because of the decisions YOU made.

SPH,
The weird part is you have two Australians, an Englishman, and an Argentinean doing the most whining about American Herefords. Foreign competitors talking trash about America.

Look what happened when Nash Herefords posted photos of functional cattle with good feet, udders and pigment. They were immediately accused of being impure Hereford. Not by someone who has actually purchased and used their cattle, but by a foreign competitor.

How many cattlemen in the United States sell based on purity? Crickets

1) live calf every year
2) calf grows well on minimal inputs
3) carcass has above average yield with choice grade

Everything else is BS marketing, propaganda, and an outright attempt to destroy our reputation in the global marketplace.

SPH I could not agree more. I too was banned from HT as I think you were for not going with the flow. Really we have people reporting about the birth of polled Herefords and reporting what neighbors to some people had over 100 years ago for cattle and the condition of their fences were in. Therefore other breeds were introduced over a century ago. To obtain that info must have been a feat, my congratulations. I too have been to cattle events to hear some Hereford breeders bashing the breed. Hmmmm where's the Angus breeder list? As I have said before I had expected other breeders to point out the advantages to their breed and even weaknesses in other breeds. But I did not expect to hear Hereford breeders bashing Herefords. just my thoughts,farmguy.

WalnutCrest, I would assume u would not use the bull for simple fact u have found what works for u. I think he is similar type as yours. As for cost it would vary between management on the cost of 60 lbs.

And shows don't pay bills as u stated.

We all look at things differently.

F1 always outgrow a straight bred.

Latest posts