If old genitics

Help Support CattleToday:

Hollis

Reaction score
If you could only use old genetics were all u could use. What would you use.

CB those aren't old genetics. If you wanna see old genetics dip your toe in one of my livestock ponds.

JWBrahman":2xm1fzba said:
CB those aren't old genetics. If you wanna see old genetics dip your toe in one of my livestock ponds.

Nope. That's cause to move more northern.

This is my new jr. herd bull. He is 15 months old but his sire, Leonid of Wye, was born over 35 years ago and his MGS, Prince of Malpas, was born over 60 years ago. Plenty of people still interested in using these genetics for what they are good for, maternal, functional cows.

artesianspringsfarm":19412gha said:

This is my new jr. herd bull. He is 15 months old but his sire, Leonid of Wye, was born over 35 years ago and his MGS, Prince of Malpas, was born over 60 years ago. Plenty of people still interested in using these genetics for what they are good for, maternal, functional cows.

I'm sure he'll produce some quality beef. That's old fashioned thinking from a young man.

True Grit Farms":1ztflua7 said:
artesianspringsfarm":1ztflua7 said:

I'm sure he'll produce some quality beef. That's old fashioned thinking from a young man.

Vince, this picture also proves that grass does really grow here and its not always white. Not sure if you will believe it after what you saw but the cows sure do like it green more than in the hay ring.

artesianspringsfarm":1cyc42mh said:
True Grit Farms":1cyc42mh said:
artesianspringsfarm":1cyc42mh said:

Vince, this picture also proves that grass does really grow here and its not always white. Not sure if you will believe it after what you saw but the cows sure do like it green more than in the hay ring.

We'll be coming up for a week in the beginning of September. And this time I'm bringing my flats boat and staying on Grindstone island at the farm. Every time I think of you I see your dad slipping on that black ice.

Hollis/Allforage and the other guys chasing the past,
Yall need to have more faith in yourself and your own breeding programs. There is absolutely zero need for a cattleman to go 50 years in the past to find the magic elixir. It's one thing to use an animal several generations back in the pedigree, it's something completely different to go 50-70 years back in history.

If you can't tell which cattle are successful under your system old semen won't help.

We started AIing a handful of cows each year starting in 2013, so we have not had calves from many of the old Murray Grey bulls in our tank. So far, we have been very happy with our calves by Cadella Park Golden Boy, JOPA Elation Power, MCC Trigger's Champion, and Monterey Marshall. All of these bulls were born in the 1970s and 1980s.

Hollis":3qif9v2b said:

Were you asking the advertisers or the commercial operations?

Frame 3-4 cattle are as popular as a$$ blisters at an orgy for 99% of commercial guys trying to make money with a small herd.

JWBrahman":26kurvwv said:
Hollis":26kurvwv said:

Were you asking the advertisers or the commercial operations?

Frame 3-4 cattle are as popular as a$$ blisters at an orgy for 99% of commercial guys trying to make money with a small herd.

I agree 100%. Some seem determined to shove the frame 4 and less toads down the commercial breeders throats just because some show judge said they were the right thing.

Show cattle are the antithesis of what beef production is about. IMO.

A great way too teach kids responsibility, how to win / lose in a proper way, etc? Sure. Absolutely.

But, the things learned, if done at scale, will bankrupt an operation faster than almost anything else. So why teach a kid how to make a tail fluffy and apply paint to get the color just right? What does that have too did with the safe, responsible production of beef?

JWBrahman":7wv3frwb said:
Hollis/Allforage and the other guys chasing the past,
Yall need to have more faith in yourself and your own breeding programs. There is absolutely zero need for a cattleman to go 50 years in the past to find the magic elixir. It's one thing to use an animal several generations back in the pedigree, it's something completely different to go 50-70 years back in history.

If you can't tell which cattle are successful under your system old semen won't help.

I agree on some things. I really think some of the old bulls were really good and could still be useful today. As for toads take that however u want. I would rather have a frame 4 cow that produces over 50% weaning weight calf than a frame 7 that weans a 35% calf. Lbs are lbs.

But before u say something about to small , I can tell you that grass fed may be a fad but it's working right now. Now I also agree 3 and below are to little. So marketing, and several other things here to consider.

I am going to raise what pleases my eyes. Not numbers, or names.

... and ...

FS 4 and 1000 lbs ... weaning 50% ... 500 lbs
FS 7 and 1600 lbs ... weaning 35% ... 560 lbs

... the value of the extra 60 lbs was generated at what cost?

While I admit I have a few lighter heifers that are 1000 lbs I also have several in the 1200 lb so 600 lb. And I think we both know that not every cow or calf is the same.

That's why their are different breeds, different colors and different types. U chase your dreams and I will chase mine

WalnutCrest":ywyy5u08 said:
... and ...

FS 4 and 1000 lbs ... weaning 50% ... 500 lbs
FS 7 and 1600 lbs ... weaning 35% ... 560 lbs

... the value of the extra 60 lbs was generated at what cost?

That probably is different between your operation and mine.

How much corn do u buy to feed? That is a cost rather u raise corn or buy it.

I would rather have a 5 frame ideally but not everyone is the same.

Latest posts