Ideas Needed ASAP

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Found out a family friend had surgery yesterday for breast cancer. People are getting together and cooking different things.
I am making lasagnae and manicotti and chili.

Need things that can be frozen and baked.

Come on everyone open your cookbooks and let's get started!!!!
Beef, chicken, pork and lamb.
Also vegatable dishes.

I add an additional bottle of chile sauce. Freeze in portion size. We usually do freeze in quarts bags. Edit....Whoops this doesn't meet the baked criteria. But it can be microwaved.

Brunswick Stew (a Georgia Version)
1 lb. chicken
½ teaspoon dry mustard
1 lb. lean pork
½ stick (1/8 pound) butter
1 lb. lean beef
3 Tablespoons vinegar
3 medium onions, chopped
2 16 oz. cans small lima beans
4 16 oz. cans tomatoes
2 16 oz. cans creamstyle corn
5 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 can small green peas
1½ bottles (14 oz.) catsup
3 small potatoes, diced*
1 Tbs. Tabasco sauce
1 16 oz. box frozen cut okra*
2 bay leaves
salt
1 bottle (12 oz.) chili sauce
pepper

*items marked with an asterisk are optional

Combine chicken, pork and beef in a large, heavy pot. Season with salt and pepper. Add onions and cover with water. Cook slowly for several hours until meat falls from the bone. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Tear meat into shreds and return to stock in pot. Add canned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, catsup, Tabasco sauce, bay leaves, chili sauce, dry mustard and butter. Cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
Add vinegar, lima beans or butter beans, corn, peas and potatoes (if used) and okra (if used). Cook slowly until thick.
Serve in bowls.

This is awesome and easy.

Squash Casserole
3 lbs. Squash
2 medium onions
3 eggs
1 cup mayonnaise
1 package of Original Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing
1 dozen saltine crackers crumbled
1 cup grated cheese
1 tsp salt

Boil squash and onions until squash is soft.
Drain and cool.
Combine and mix all ingredients together.

To freeze

Scoop into disposable bread pan (1 pound), cover and freeze.

To Cook

Remove from freezer and place in preheated 300 degree oven for 40 minutes.
Remove and put more crumbled crackers or some kind of breaded topping and return to oven until crust is brown.

Cooking time my vary with different ovens.

I like to make casseroles ,liked baked spaghetti, lasagna, wild rice, broccoli and chicken breast casserole, chicken/turkey pot pie. ILH is this for her or for the family as a cancer diet is very different, they low carb high protein and only good carbs from things like whole grain brown rice and green vegetables .

this will sound funny but take them some toilet paper.if they are getting alot of guests they may run out.

HD it is for their family. I took them a lasagna and chili today and started a pot of bean soup.

Thanks for the recipes.

Wewild is the beef pork and chicken in cubes or ground?

Called our County cancer support group and the phone lines were buzzing today. People are lining up to help.
Also called the 4-H heads and asked about the kids wearing pink ribbons during our upcoming fair. We are planning a Pink Ribbon Day for that Saturday. Was warned the fair board would not support it. My response was a very long be nice. ;-)

Off the top of my head, dishes that freeze well -
Casseroles, soups, stews, pasta dishes, meat loaf, meat balls, pies, quiches, pizza, sliced roasts and waffles........ That's as far as my imagination will allow me at this time of day.

This sounds good.http://busycooks.about.com/od/precooked ... ixvegg.htm
Creamy Chicken and Veggies Casserole
This rich make ahead casserole is topped with a crunchy, cheesy topping that is kind of like dumplings, but with more texture. Alfredo sauce, frozen vegetables, and precooked chicken make it easy. The last time I made it I used Havarti cheese instead of cheddar, and it was sublime.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:
•1 onion, chopped
•1 tablespoon olive oil
•2 tablespoons flour
•1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
•1/8 teaspoon pepper
•1/2 cup whole milk
•1 (16 ounce) jar four cheese Alfredo sauce
•2-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken
•1 (16 ounce) package frozen broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower
•1-1/4 cups shredded sharp Cheddar or Havarti cheese
•1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
•1 cup flour
•1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
•1/4 teaspoon baking powder
•1/4 cup butter, softened
•1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar or Havarti cheese
•1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
•1 egg

Preparation:

In heavy saucepan, cook onion in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Add flour; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add 1 teaspoon thyme leaves and milk; cook and stir until thick.
Remove from heat and add Alfredo sauce, chicken, 1-1/4 cups Cheddar or Havarti cheese, 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, and the frozen vegetables; stir gently. Place in 2-1/2 quart casserole. Cover and refrigerate 8-24 hours.

When ready to eat, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place casserole, covered, in oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until warm. Meanwhile, in small bowl combine flour, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, baking powder, 1/4 cup butter, 1/2 cup Cheddar or Havarti cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg and mix with a fork until crumbly.

Uncover casserole and crumble this topping evenly over the top. Bake for 20-30 minutes longer, until filling bubbles and the topping is golden brown and crisp.

You can also bake the casserole right away. After you place the chicken mixture in the casserole dish, top with the crumbly mixture and bake in preheated 375 degrees F oven for 25-35 minutes until bubbly and brown

This is maybe a little too much like lasagna but it sounds good too
http://busycooks.about.com/od/groundbee ... supper.htm

Sicilian Casserole
Prep Time: 25 minutes

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 55 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:
•1 lb. ground beef
•1 onion, chopped
•2 cloves garlic, minced
•1 green bell pepper, chopped
•1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
•1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
•3/4 cup water
•1 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
•2 cups elbow macaroni
•8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, cubed
•3/4 cup milk
•1/3 cup sour cream
•3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Meanwhile, brown ground beef, onion, and garlic in heavy saucepan, stirring to break up ground beef. Add green bell pepper when beef is almost cooked; continue to simmer until beef is done. Drain well. Add tomato paste, tomato sauce, water, and dried Italian seasoning and stir well to blend. Let simmer for 10 minutes to blend flavors.
Meanwhile, cook elbow macaroni as directed on package. While macaroni is cooking, combine cream cheese and milk in medium bowl. Cook in microwave on medium power for 2-3 minutes, stirring once halfway through cooking. Remove from microwave and stir with wire whisk until sauce thickens and blends to form a smooth sauce. Drain noodles and add to cream cheese sauce along with sour cream and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese; stir to combine.

In 2 quart casserole dish, place all of cream cheese mixture. Top with all of the ground beef mixture and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until casserole is bubbly.

To freeze, add 1 Tbsp. cornstarch to the cream cheese sauce. Prepare casserole as directed, except instead of baking, chill in refrigerator. Wrap well and freeze up to 3 months. To thaw and reheat, thaw casserole overnight in refrigerator. Bake, covered, for 25-35 minutes, then uncover and bake 5-10 minutes longer until bubbly.

You know I have never made Shepherd's pie or meat loaf . I am going to make Shepherd's pie the next rainy day, which by the sounds of the forecast will be tomorrow.

Do you have a tasty recipe for it Hook ?
I think the key to it is getting the potatoes really fluffy, my grandma made the best that I have ever tasted . Wish she would have shared some secrets .

That is a good idea of making taco meat and freezing it, you can do many things than from burritos to nachos etc. :D

We just do corn, meat, green beans, meat , cheese and mashed taters. Season to taste and put in the oven I think at 325. Brown the meat first of course. We've also done thin sliced au gratin taters instead of mashed and that worked well. Just don't use to much salt because the cheese imparts a pretty salty taste to it all . Mice thing about shepards pie is there are so many ways to do it.
Enchiladas also freeze well sauce and all

I luv herfrds":118qh7pd said:
Wewild is the beef pork and chicken in cubes or ground?

I use chicken breasts, sirloin roast and some sort of pork roast. Boil it until it shreds apart. I use two forks and just pull it apart like making pulled pork.

I don't put the meat back in until after all the ingredients have simmered for 45 minutes or so because the meat is already done.

It should really say combine all the ingredients except the meat and simmer for 45 minutes. That includes the corn and lima beans as well. Then add the meat and cook until you have the desired consistency. I like mine a little soupy.

Latest posts