Turkey rub ideas.

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
It will just my wife and I tomorrow and I know it's late notice. I was just going with the basic, same every year way to cook the turkey. Now that it's thawed and ready for rub any help on a good rub and how long to before starting the cooking process. It's only a 10lb bird and I was thinking of smoking it for a couple of hours on low heat with Apple chips then finish in the oven. Any thoughts on a rub or other suggestions?

Thanks, Alan

We're eating fried tonight and I'm smoking a breast for tomorrow. I just typed out my brine recipe and lost it. The rub will be Tony chacheries Cajun seasoning and usually what ever else strikes my fancy in the morning. Mine is in the fridge brining over night.

I rub mustard on the meat before I season it. And I cook to a internal meat temperature, and not by a set time.

Brine
Water enough to cover Turkey
Onion qtred
Cup of brown sugar
Cup of salt
3 bay leaves
2 satsumas cut and squeezed / don't throw them away after you squeeze put them in the brine.
I got up at 4 and lit the egg smoker.
Rub
I changed my mind this morning when I o opened the bag , the sweet smell of the oranges made me get the Greek seasoning , I also used a little lemon pepper.

3 to 4 hrs it should be done

Mine hit the smoker at 8:15. I brined it for two days in a sugar, salt crab boil brine. I put mayonnaise on him and some garlic,cayan,& Tony's cajun. I plan to smoke him for @2 hrs then finish him in a bag in the oven.

M5farm":1f0rawwh said:
Brine
Water enough to cover Turkey
Onion qtred
Cup of brown sugar
Cup of salt
3 bay leaves
2 satsumas cut and squeezed / don't throw them away after you squeeze put them in the brine.
I got up at 4 and lit the egg smoker.
Rub
I changed my mind this morning when I o opened the bag , the sweet smell of the oranges made me get the Greek seasoning , I also used a little lemon pepper.

3 to 4 hrs it should be done

Thanks M5, we had a few problems on the place yesterday. With it being just my wife and I we decided not to do a turkey dinner until a little later, my thanksgiving feast was a grilled sandwich and a cup of tomato soup.

I did make sure I had everything to try your recipe though and the turkey will start a two day brine this morning and then into the smoker. I'm pulling a pork loin out of a 10 day brine this morning and smoke it this afternoon for some more Canadian bacon, I love that stuff.

Thanks for the turkey recipe, I'll lets you know how it turns out in a couple of days.
Alan .........Go Ducks!

It turned out excellent and got many complements at lunch yesterday. If I had to change anything I would have pull it at 160 deg and not let it sit as long before we eat. It was moist but I would have liked it little juicier.

Not a turkey cooker and really not a big turkey eater but why does everyone use "Cajun" seasoning on them? Seems most rubs, etc. folks talk about always has Cajun seasoning in it.

Hook":1l9r4ui7 said:
TexasBred":1l9r4ui7 said:
Not a turkey cooker and really not a big turkey eater but why does everyone use "Cajun" seasoning on them? Seems most rubs, etc. folks talk about always has Cajun seasoning in it.

To cover the taste of turkey up! :mrgreen:
Now that I can believe. :lol2:

M5, I smoked that turkey up yesterday, Apple smoke for a few hours, pulled it at 160 as per your suggestion and let it rest for 45 mins to an hour. Outstanding, very juicy and tender ...... And now we get to enjoy left overs for a few days. :?

Thanks for the recipe it's a keeper!

Alan

Alan":1tm3pbkc said:
M5, I smoked that turkey up yesterday, Apple smoke for a few hours, pulled it at 160 as per your suggestion and let it rest for 45 mins to an hour. Outstanding, very juicy and tender ...... And now we get to enjoy left overs for a few days. :?

Thanks for the recipe it's a keeper!

Alan

glad you enjoyed it. I also use the same brine when I do a beer can chicken except I use Dr.Pepper in the holder. I always smoke with pecan (I have 10 trees in the yard)

Latest posts