Cooking big turkey?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
I had a 24 lb turkey given to me that I need to fix for thanksgiving. I normally buy 12-14 lb birds and fix multiples if cooking for a crowd, but I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. I use the Alton Brown brine recipe and roasting technique. With a bird this big would I be better off brining and cooking the breast seperate, or just extend my brining time longer than my usual 48 hours? I despise dry turkey so I am trying to make sure that the breast is not too dry by the time I get the rest done.

Double the time in the brine.
Ive done a 20 lb for 72 hrs, it was very good, but felt it would have been better if I had gone another day.

Ran across this in my archived emails today... from back around 2003... from a guy at the UofWI Poultry Research Lab...in a discussion of someone who'd raised some turkeys the year before and cooked a 42-pounder... took 12 hours in the oven...

"Cook that bird at 425 f rather than the traditional 325 F. Knocks the cook time down by about half, makes for crispier skin and allows less time for the meat to dry out."

I've read that too long in the brine will cause the skin to be soggy and not crisp up. Not entirely sure its true, but I read it somewhere.

Latest posts